• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelled Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
    So, where were you going and where are you going instead?

The wife and I were off to Austria in August. Flying into Vienna, hiring a car and then driving over to Salzburg to do the Sound of Music locations. Then to round it all off I was going to take her up the Gross Glockner.

I don't think a week in my bus at Sandy Balls will quite measure up but there you go
    There is no reason to cancel your holiday and things will ease up by August. Currently, you would need a certificate to state that you are free Covid-19 to travel in Austria.

I would not bother flying to Austria as you can drive there in 12 hours from Calais. If you take the Eurotunnel you can stay in your car and not mix with other people. It is safer than flying.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

So, where were you going and where are you going instead?

The wife and I were off to Austria in August. Flying into Vienna, hiring a car and then driving over to Salzburg to do the Sound of Music locations. Then to round it all off I was going to take her up the Gross Glockner.

I don't think a week in my bus at Sandy Balls will quite measure up but there you go
      Fingers crossed a mod that has half a clue what they are supposed to be doing will give you a permanent holiday away from the forum before then...
      Last edited by northernladuk; 22 June 2020, 10:49.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        There is no reason to cancel your holiday and things will ease up by August. Currently, you would need a certificate to state that you are free Covid-19 to travel in Austria.

I would not bother flying to Austria as you can drive there in 12 hours from Calais. If you take the Eurotunnel you can stay in your car and not mix with other people. It is safer than flying.
        Are there any restrictions on low IQ Gricer sockies?

Comment

Will have to look into what the Austrian new normal is like. Don't want to have to go all that way and be subject to social distancing restrictions once we're there.

More likely to be a bit of uk based off grid action over in the New Forest

Comment

Will have to look into what the Austrian new normal is like. Don't want to have to go all that way and be subject to social distancing restrictions once we're there.

More likely to be a bit of uk based off grid action over in the New Forest

Up-to-date Information on the Coronavirus Situation in Austria

I know the New Forest and Sandy Balls very well. Sandy Balls was privately owned but it has been bought by Hoseasons. Prices have increased.

There is nothing I know of which is off-grid (accommodation) other than campsites. They are very crowded in the summer. Camping other than in campsites in the New Forest is against the local bylaws which are rigorously enforced. There are bridleways for horses only, and you can be fined for cycling in them.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Up-to-date Information on the Coronavirus Situation in Austria

I know the New Forest and Sandy Balls very well. Sandy Balls was privately owned but it has been bought by Hoseasons. Prices have increased.

There is nothing I know of which is off-grid (accommodation) other than campsites. They are very crowded in the summer. Camping other than in campsites in the New Forest is against the local bylaws which are rigorously enforced. There are bridleways for horses only, and you can be fined for cycling in them.
              I didn't mean literally. We still need somewhere with an electric hook up - my wife won't forgo her creature comforts. About as off grid as we get is a bit of sunbathing in the noddy in the sand dunes at Brean!
              Paging Greenfly

Comment

I didn't mean literally. We still need somewhere with an electric hook up - my wife won't forgo her creature comforts. About as off grid as we get is a bit of sunbathing in the noddy in the sand dunes at Brean!
                Paging Greenfly
                https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ighlight=Brean

Martin Scroatman
                Banned

Get yer legs down and unhitch the van before attempting any action otherwise you'll end up doing an articulated bunny hop across the site.

Something that happened to me and my mate Tony at Brean one year when we got lucky and had two birds beam end up at the front of the van.

Next thing we knew we were half way down the beach with the tide coming in

zoco

Banned

I've had enough at looking out the window at this gorgeous weather all week long.

I've got sod all to do at the moment as I'm in the dog end days of my gig & I'm just going through the motions really.

I've just heard reports that the tide is in at Brean so I'm heading off to Easton in Gordano Services for a Whopper then I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon lolling around among the sand dunes in me cacks

The Castle Cary Fairy
                Banned

In many respects travel, or a holiday, is about finding one's own personal Arcadia.

It is possible to spend many thousands of pounds and travel the same number of miles to a tropical paradise to find oneself surrounded by fellow IT professionals, as happened to a colleague of mine. Who, in the name of God would want to be drawn into a conversation about the finer details of C++ whilst lounging by the pool?

On the other hand, you can have a week in a caravan at Brean for a tiny fraction of the price, not have to get on a plane and come back feeling considerably more refreshed, if not so tanned.

jacquiw

Banned

Give me my static caravan at Brean any day!

gricerboy

Banned

Aye Ginge, training sessions in Brean at low tide mate!
                Come on, Mods. You know the routine.
                Last edited by Old Greg; 22 June 2020, 11:02.

Comment

As you may well know the nuddy beach is at nearby Studland. Although there are sand dunes, the south coastal walk path goes through the beach, often to the surprise of boy-scouts.

Comment

I'm so flattered you'd go to such lengths Gregory

Comment

As you may well know the nuddy beach is at nearby Studland. Although there are sand dunes, the south coastal walk path goes through the beach, often to the surprise of boy-scouts.
                      Yes, right at the start of the South West Coast Path. I can vouch from experience that it's not a pretty sight!

Comment

Working...
                      X