• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic automatic automatic

So much easyier than using wrong hand to change gears

You have a go peddle and a stop peddle

Simples

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Choose a place where the traffic is likely to be sparse and you can get away with murder.

The first time I drove was Sardinia in August. I read online that traffic is bad due to holiday season but it was nowhere as bad as UK and it was excellent to drive. A good GPS is essential. The first few roundabouts and turns were confusing but due to very low traffic and no traffic on rural roads I made mistakes but got away with it.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

The problem arises when you've been driving for a while, then you relax, forget and drive on the wrong side.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Choose a place where the traffic is likely to be sparse and you can get away with murder.

The first time I drove was Sardinia in August. I read online that traffic is bad due to holiday season but it was nowhere as bad as UK and it was excellent to drive. A good GPS is essential. The first few roundabouts and turns were confusing but due to very low traffic and no traffic on rural roads I made mistakes but got away with it.
          Yes, and take your own dedicated device - car hire companies charge a fortune. I don't ever rely on Google maps - at some point you will be let down; normally by a drained battery though on one occasion my phone overheated driving through the middle of Bari during rush hour and died on me. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Automatic automatic automatic

So much easyier than using wrong hand to change gears

You have a go peddle and a stop peddle

Simples

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Correct ,just never ever use your left foot to break

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Like around RAF bases?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Like around RAF bases?
                Indeed sparse traffic is bad.

What you need is constant reminders from honking horns and hand gestures.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Maybe I can talk the parentals into letting me drive their car so I can get used to an automatic. Did it once and it was the wierdest thing to me.

Comment

I'm a crap driver, my spatial awareness is shocking, and I struggle to tell left from right

But I managed to drive to the Netherlands - it was motorway most of the way, but there were a few local road bits. I took my own car which for me was definitely better. Main problem was turning left which I had to really concentrate on. You'll be fine

Comment

JFDI
                      If you want an easy starter take a ferry to Calais and on leaving back track towards the coast. You need to go inland first. Pootle around Calais and then head for the autoroute. Follow Boulounge/Rouen head say for La Touquet and then head back autoroute all the way.

If you really want a baptism of fire, head for Paris Brussels or Lille and drive around one of those cities. Having picked up hire cars from most major european airports if you do the above you should feel competent enough say heading out of Madrid, Milan or Barcelona airports.
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X