• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Is it really a case of JFDI and stop being a wuss or is there anything practical I can do to prepare?
    Ok don't laugh, but I've been driving for years in France and Spain but I do remember how nervous I was the first time. I downloaded a driving simulator and I think it actually helped a little. I think the link below is a video of the one I used.

YouTube

I'm still nervous for the first hour or so when I'm off the tunnel but then gradually get used to it. I found driving a right-hand car easier than a LHD, but joining motor ways can be harder in a RHD.

oh used to have little rhymes, like "drive on the right or you get in a fight" just to remind me.
    Last edited by woohoo; 23 June 2020, 08:17.

Comment

Take a couple of booze cruises to Calais. Second one drive to Paris & back.

Once you have driven in Paris you will be fine!

It is JFDI IMHO. Best if you know the car before you start. I used to land at Lyon Airport , be given something like a Twingo then drive to Grenoble. Not a lot of fun. First stop in Grenoble is the hotel for a shower.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Ok don't laugh, but I've been driving for years in France and Spain but I do remember how nervous I was the first time. I downloaded a driving simulator and I think it actually helped a little. I think the link below is a video of the one I used.

YouTube

I'm still nervous for the first hour or so when I'm off the tunnel but then gradually get used to it. I found driving a right-hand car easier than a LHD, but joining motor ways can be harder in a RHD.

oh used to have little rhymes, like "drive on the right or you get in a fight" just to remind me.
        I don't think GTA is sufficiently realistic

Comment

The biggest problem is the gear stick and the handbrake being on the wrong side. There's so much traffic on the road, you won't forget which side to drive on, more likely that you fumble the gear stick.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Often do those eurocamp type holidays.

I was nervous first but within 15 minutes it really was no problem.

Generally the roads leading away from ferry ports are easy to use , clearly signed and tell you to drive on the right.

Same for most airports.

Just take your time and follow a native!!

Comment

You'll find driving on the other side fine, just position yourself on the correct side of the road and go. The issue tends to be junctions, different give way rules and many cyclists and trams in countries like Holland

Comment

Fair enough, thanks folks. I'm obviously in classic overthinking it mode this morning!

Comment

I'm chief taxi driver in our house and driven abroad a fair bit. Driving a LHD abroad is as easy as driving a RHD after five minutes and not something you need to worry about.

IMO it takes a little longer and is more stressful to get used to taking a RHD abroad simply because of the unnatural driving position. I have been caught out a couple of times in car parks (no road markings) when I have forgotten I should be on the other side of the road - fortunately the locals are used to seeing derps with UK number plates in France in these situations. But on the open road you will have no trouble.

The only other thing I would recommend is make sure you understand the small changes to the law especially if driving in the States, who has right of way at an intersection with 2 or four directions having stop signs and turning right on a red.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    No, we're not talking about murderous wives of diplomats.

I have driven on the correct side of the road for many, many years now (that's the left for you lot in forrin lands) and am of reasonable competence (no worse than most, certainly not a professional). I would love to do more driving whilst on holiday in Europe but am seriously nervous about it. I've searched on and off for years trying to find driving lessons I could take to boost my confidence a bit but, other than one travel company who no longer do it, I can't find anything.

Is it really a case of JFDI and stop being a wuss or is there anything practical I can do to prepare?

No idea when this will happen, given the current circumstances, but it's what's bugging me this morning.
                    The fact that you are nervous about it is a good thing rather than being overconfident. However, I am 100% sure that you will be fine so just go for it.

A few tips.
                    Wear a watch or some unusual item on your right wrist, you use that a quick reference; ie, item on the right-hand means keep to the right. Change to your left wrist when going back to the UK and is could be confusing when you get back to the UK.

Take it easy and take time to think, a bit like taking your driving test. (Check mirror, signal in advance and manoeuvre when safe)

Give more time when moving off and overtaking, try not to park or move off from the wrong side of the road.

Most confusing are roundabouts, particularly coming back to the UK therefore, take it slowly and think before entering a roundabout.

Most mistakes are made driving off first thing in the morning or after lunch; again sit and think before moving off.

On narrow country roads, keep thinking that you need to pass oncoming vehicles on the right if you are approached from the opposite direction.

Take note of speed limits, in Europe the fact that there is a sign with the name of a village also means there is a speed limit. The end of the village ate also marked.

Genal rule throughout Europe is to give way to traffic from the right unless there is the yellow diamond sign.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It'll be a cinch!

In fact, you'll be so good at it that it's getting off the ferry when you get back here that you should be more worried about

Comment

Working...
                      X