• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebsoluteley inneresting

Comment

First time i drove LHD or on right-hand side of road, I hadn't driven for 10 years. I had 5 minutes around the car park and straight onto the New Jersey Turnpike at rush hour.

While it is a question of JFDI, I'm afraid, here are some suggestion:

LHD car, as others have said is a good idea.
      Plan your first drive route first, even on Google maps.
      It is mostly very natural and intuitive to keep on the correct side of theroad, but roundabouts van seem counter-intuitive at first.
      First time you drive, don't do it anywhere where drivers are mad (my hairy experiences were in Greek mainland, Mexico and South of Italy). Spain is pretty good - it's reputation for bad drivers is very out of date IMO. Northern Europe, Canada, small town USA are all good.
      If you're very nervous, plan a driving mini-break with a friend somewhere easy to drive - Denmark perhaps. You'll have in your mind that the holiday is about driving so you'll get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

No, we're not talking about murderous wives of diplomats.

I have driven on the correct side of the road for many, many years now (that's the left for you lot in forrin lands) and am of reasonable competence (no worse than most, certainly not a professional). I would love to do more driving whilst on holiday in Europe but am seriously nervous about it. I've searched on and off for years trying to find driving lessons I could take to boost my confidence a bit but, other than one travel company who no longer do it, I can't find anything.

Is it really a case of JFDI and stop being a wuss or is there anything practical I can do to prepare?

No idea when this will happen, given the current circumstances, but it's what's bugging me this morning.
        You get used to it surprisingly easy.

Seriously, one thing to remember is to drive on the right side of the road as soon as you return to the UK!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The hope is to go to northern Spain, Basque region. Currently toying (if it's running) with the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and then driving along the coast via Bilbao to San Sebastian. That would mean we could take my car but my main reason against that is the 23 hour journey is great for a booze up and I don't want to have to drive in a RHD on LHD roads with a hangover.

Comment

INKSPE - Just tell your chauffeur to make sure the rear of the Limo has good tinted windows & fresh Orange juice.

He/She will know how to drive!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              INKSPE - Just tell your chauffeur to make sure the rear of the Limo has good tinted windows & fresh Orange juice.

He/She will know how to drive!
              Orange juice?????????????????

Comment

Orange juice?????????????????

I thought you said you would have a hangover!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Seriously, one thing to remember is to drive on the right side of the road as soon as you return to the UK!
                  Not sure that's a good idea

Comment

No, we're not talking about murderous wives of diplomats.

I have driven on the correct side of the road for many, many years now (that's the left for you lot in forrin lands) and am of reasonable competence (no worse than most, certainly not a professional). I would love to do more driving whilst on holiday in Europe but am seriously nervous about it. I've searched on and off for years trying to find driving lessons I could take to boost my confidence a bit but, other than one travel company who no longer do it, I can't find anything.

Is it really a case of JFDI and stop being a wuss or is there anything practical I can do to prepare?

No idea when this will happen, given the current circumstances, but it's what's bugging me this morning.
                    Are you thinking about taking a UK car to drive in Europe, or hiring a car when abroad?

It is strange, but you get used to it very quickly, so man up and JFDI
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The hope is to go to northern Spain, Basque region. Currently toying (if it's running) with the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and then driving along the coast via Bilbao to San Sebastian. That would mean we could take my car but my main reason against that is the 23 hour journey is great for a booze up and I don't want to have to drive in a RHD on LHD roads with a hangover.
                      Personally I would not take a long ferry journey with the risk of Covid-19 still around.

I have crossed to Le Havre and the nearby ports a few times and headed down to Spain. The non-motorway roads are very quiet compared with the UK and there are many ad hoc places to stop and stay. Andora (tax-free) is well worth a visit. There are also very nice beaches in the Bordeaux area.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X