• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    No, we're not talking about murderous wives of diplomats.

I have driven on the correct side of the road for many, many years now (that's the left for you lot in forrin lands) and am of reasonable competence (no worse than most, certainly not a professional). I would love to do more driving whilst on holiday in Europe but am seriously nervous about it. I've searched on and off for years trying to find driving lessons I could take to boost my confidence a bit but, other than one travel company who no longer do it, I can't find anything.

Is it really a case of JFDI and stop being a wuss or is there anything practical I can do to prepare?

No idea when this will happen, given the current circumstances, but it's what's bugging me this morning.
    Serious advice: avoid Italy*, and always hire an automatic. It's actually quite easy to get used to driving on the right (although most of my experience has been in the USA). Find some quiet side streets (or drive round the car-park for a bit) to get used to it. If you have an auto, gear changes are one less thing to worry about.

*I once made the mistake of letting my wife make the hire-car arrangements, and I had to get a LHD manual Fiat Punto round Milan in the morning rush-hour. Every cliche you've ever heard about driving in Italy is true, and then some.
    Having survived that, I think I could survive anything...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I thought you said you would have a hangover!

My memory isn't what it used to be

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Are you thinking about taking a UK car to drive in Europe, or hiring a car when abroad?

It is strange, but you get used to it very quickly, so man up and JFDI
        Hiring abroad. Baby steps, and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

My memory isn't what it used to be

Alcohol and Memory Loss | Alcohol.org

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

*I once made the mistake of letting my wife make the hire-car arrangements, and I had to get a LHD manual Fiat Punto round Milan in the morning rush-hour. Every cliche you've ever heard about driving in Italy is true, and then some.
            I driven all over Italy from Verona to Puglia and I find you have to go 'local' and then its easy as there are no rules, just drive where you want. Well apart from the auto carta lane when coming off an auto strada, was quite embarrassing haven't ask a large queue to reverse and let me out
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

i've never had any issues.
              L/RHD cars, vans, bikes, europe. middle east, americas, no problems

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Serious advice: avoid Italy*, and always hire an automatic. It's actually quite easy to get used to driving on the right (although most of my experience has been in the USA). Find some quiet side streets (or drive round the car-park for a bit) to get used to it. If you have an auto, gear changes are one less thing to worry about.

I've driven on the autostrada around Milan a few times. Always crazy. Though it was easier when I realised the 140km/h limit is to be treated as a minimum.

Serbia was terrifying. Mainly due to the Turks driving through - Serbia is the 1000km point from Germany, so by that time they're a bit erratic.

The Arc de Triomph is always fun - barrel on at full speed, then slam your brakes on to give way to the right.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  i've never had any issues.
                  L/RHD cars, vans, bikes, europe. middle east, americas, no problems
                  I think you're talking horsesh.....
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    The Arc de Triomph is always fun - barrel on at full speed, then slam your brakes on to give way to the right.
                    I remember watching a car squeeze into a tight parking space in Paris. The parking consisted of shunting the car behind and then front to make enough room.

The people I was with said they have a good car and a "Paris" car. The Paris car get's banged to hell.

Comment

I've only been to Paris once. We took a taxi from the hotel to somewhere that required going round the triumphal arch. I was convinced we were going to get shunted from all angles. I swear the taxi driver took a more dangerous approach as he was laughing with glee at me thinking I was going to die.

The only time I've seen a Frenchman laugh, come to think of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X