• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Me 'ouse is me pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    For Christ's sake man, don't do it!
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Ok .. let's work with your logic ....

Most of those BTL properties are occupied, so it's not like putting them on the market is going to produce spare housing capacity. The people currently renting still need somewhere to live.

Today, as Vetran says, we have a shortage of good housing stock compared to demand. We're a small island, so this is only going to get worse.

We are too city centric; the 'new normal' of working from home, and hence housing can be built in more remote locations, will certainly help. But only if companies allow further WFH once the lockdown eases and don't insist on travel back into the cities.

Those empty houses you mention will either be in very poor, undesirable areas where there is no work (mid Wales ex-mining towns spring to mind) or are very poorly maintained properties where a buyer cannot get a mortgage and hence will be picked up by developers and flipped.

And let's be honest, 216k properties is hardly a massive number, especially if they're in the wrong part of the country.

For now. Many of them are furloughed - so they are already on reduced income and have no savings - do we really believe their jobs will return to normal by October? Mark my words, there'll be a glut. Many of them will return to the EU as we kick the last ones out that are still hanging on come December.

If you can work from home, is housing in the 'wrong part of the country' really an issue?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        For now. Many of them are furloughed - so they are already on reduced income and have no savings - do we really believe their jobs will return to normal by October? Mark my words, there'll be a glut. Many of them will return to the EU as we kick the last ones out that are still hanging on come December.

If you can work from home, is housing in the 'wrong part of the country' really an issue?
        so you are saying immigrants are taking our homes ???

Filthy Raaaacccist!

As suggested the WFH privilege will be for the very fortunate, you will still have to clean the loo at the Thistle hotel personally. watch out for footballers houses populated by bankers up north.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Lots of big home owners are over leveraged as well on fixed term mortgages. When those fixed term rates come to an end and your looking at the SVR instead of 1.7 that £600 interest increase will cause pain for many because you only have 15% not 25% equity, pain will be felt. Throw in 9 million on furlough and what the future of that looks like as the government wind the scheme back.

The probability of a vaccine being found and delivered by the end of the year and the economy motoring on in a V shape recovery is very unlikely IMO. So current plan is sit tight until this time next year. There is a chance VAT will be cut to help that V shape boom so buying a large do me upper seems like a great course of action at the moment.
          Last edited by BlueSharp; 30 June 2020, 12:11.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Filthy Raaaacccist!

As suggested the WFH privilege will be for the very fortunate, you will still have to clean the loo at the Thistle hotel personally. watch out for footballers houses populated by bankers up north.
            The loos are never cleaned at the Thistle Hotel Heathrow. Its their USP.

Comment

Filthy Raaaacccist!

You and your kind are saying that.

Watch Neil’s video.. he explains why the crash at the end of the year is coming and that’s without even considering B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by scooterscot; 30 June 2020, 15:53.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

The loos are never cleaned at the Thistle Hotel Heathrow. Its their USP.
                There are mobile charging points in their loos?

Well that's lateral thinking at its best, although it usually takes longer to charge my phone than a typical visit to the loo.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  You and your kind are saying that.

Watch Neil’s video.. he explains why the crash at the end of the year is coming and that’s without even considering B.

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/HEI...k">YouTube</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Wow, you want us to take that seriously?

Apart from being one of the most patronising thing I've ever watched (I had to stop myself quitting a few times), he also said (7:50 in) that a Lamborghini is more valuable that a Ford because they make fewer of them! Someone should tell Ford to cut production!

I stopped at that point. Is he a friend of yours (you seem to be on first name terms)? Do you have emotions for him too?
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 30 June 2020, 15:46.

Comment

we are a million plus dwellings short with the population growing by 1/3 million a year.

until we build our way out of it house prices will continue to grow.
                    Try 3 million a year, if all the Hong Kong residents take up Boris the Berk's crazy offer!

He may have thought he was being ever so smart, making an offer he thought he knew would never be realised. But two million people is a trifle to the Chinese, and no doubt the authorities there would be only to happy to see the back of a load of troublesome "westernised" Hong Kongers!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      Wow, you want us to take that seriously?

Apart from being one of the most patronising thing I've ever watched (I had to stop myself quitting a few times), he also said (7:50 in) that a Lamborghini is more valuable that a Ford because they make fewer of them! Someone should tell Ford to cut production!

I stopped at that point. Is he a friend of yours (you seem to be on first name terms)? Do you have emotions for him too?

That straight away tells me you've got too much skin in the game. Pay off those debts while you can.

You'd rather drive ten poor quality Ford Mondeo's that a timeless Lamborghini?

Comment

Working...
                      X