• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with a 'Problem' Neighbour!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    How much will it cost to replant with new ones equal to the height they were when he (it's always a he…) cut them? You could probably take him to the small claims court or something.

I reckon he wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court, as he's not allowed to cut plants in your garden other than any parts overhanging his property, and then only to cut them back to the boundary (and must return the trimmings to you, should you want them).

IANAL, etc.
    Goes without saying that compensation for the damage must be paid by shoving pound coins in an envelope though your letter box.

OP? Does the neighbour know you are doing to try sell the house? I thought he'd be more than happy to buy you new ones if the end game was you moving away faster. Maybe the whole street would want to contribute as well..

But if you really want to take him on put some new bamboo up draped in almost invisible mains rated fairy lights. If he tries to cut them down then, oops unlucky, if he doesn't it will look pretty for prospective buyers. Win win.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 June 2020, 23:49.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Revenge is a dish best served cold...

...sell your house to the most unreasonable fecker you can find.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I would plant a long row of Leylandii trees, well inside your side of the fence.

If your neighbour is so keen on trimming your plants, they will have hours of fun trying to keep those brutes under control!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          Revenge is a dish best served cold...

...sell your house to the most unreasonable fecker you can find.
          So I guess the best bet is to sell it on here?

Comment

Do nothing. The last thing you want is to start a dispute with a neighbour.

Obviously once you have moved feel free to super glue his locks ,front door and car. Chuck stones up his exhaust pipe so it rattles. Weed killer on his front lawn and take a dump on his door step.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              To Wilmslow.

Or rent it out to PC on housing benefit, and he can move all his in-laws into the home office in the back garden.
              Last edited by Old Greg; 30 June 2020, 07:34.

Comment

A few of these should do it: Robot Check

Alternatively:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  I would plant a long row of Leylandii trees, well inside your side of the fence.

If your neighbour is so keen on trimming your plants, they will have hours of fun trying to keep those brutes under control!
                  Or chuck some bindweed and Japanese knotweed well over the fence before you move.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    Nah, you want to sell to a real c**t not a pretend one.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                      Hi Guys,

My house is on the market & to get privacy I bought some new Bamboo trees and kept them at my side of fence (but away from fence) so that people visiting for viewing can feel privacy.

Now My neighbour decided to cut it by putting hedge trimmer over fence inside myside and cut Bamboo to the level of Fence!!. I spent £200 to get these trees so that neigbbours window is not overlooking my backgarden.All point of me buying these trees where to get some additional privacy. I did not permanently keep trees there jut left it on pot so that I can move it as soon as I sell the house. We are not talking about large hedge going over neighbour's fence. Trees kept 2 feet inside my fence in a pot.

Also my other neigbbours trees are well over fence and even hanging over fence but I never had any issue with that as it provides me also more privacy.

How to deal with this nasty neighbour without lawyer..?? Thanks.
                      These bamboo plants sound awfully delicate.

Perhaps some sort of metal pole with supporting wire in-between would help to keep them upright?

I hear that some types are almost invisible to the casual observer.

Just sayin' like...
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X