• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christ he's black!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christ he's black!

St Albans Cathedral places painting of the Last Supper with a black Jesus above its altar | Daily Mail Online

I'm converting to Islam....

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I'm converting to Islam....
    Don't do that they liked slavery even more than the Christians did.

On the subject of a black Christ can we do them for cultural appropriation?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Makes my ******* blood boil this. It says it's to show solidarity, looks more like pathetic pandering to me. I'm lost for words....

I've a feeling this is going to offend more people than it appeases by a very wide margin.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

why is this such a big deal?

if someone values historical authenticity and believes in historical Jesus then he, as a middle eastern Jew, did not look like the a caucasian blond guy either. why wasn't that image upsetting?

if someone considers Jesus an abstract ideal being who represents the values that matter to them - why does his skin colour matter?

Comment

Are you sure you've read the rulebook from cover to cover...?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

On the subject of a black Christ can we do them for cultural appropriation?
            Off the top of my head, I would hazard a guess that there are more non-white Christians than white Christians in the world. St Albans seems to be an unlikely place to find the cutting edge, but maybe they're looking to the future, and not the past.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

There is a massive overlap between the christian and muslim rulebooks. He only needs to read the 7th century release notes

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Are you sure you've read the rulebook from cover to cover...?

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by GreenT View Post
                  why is this such a big deal?

if someone values historical authenticity and believes in historical Jesus then he, as a middle eastern Jew, did not look like the a caucasian blond guy either. why wasn't that image upsetting?

if someone considers Jesus an abstract ideal being who represents the values that matter to them - why does his skin colour matter?
                  The middle east now is nothing like in the time of Jesus. The Arab expansion of the middle ages rewrote a lot. Galilean people of the time would have looked much like Southern Italians. Jesus spent all day in the sun walking to ministry so would have been weathered and tanned. The new testament never describes him - which is odd for any book about a person.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Some sections of Islam still do like it.

Lorna May Wadsworth instead paints Christ as Jamaican-born model Tafari Hinds, which she claims is just as accurate as traditional representations.
                    In the painting, James looks black as does Philip. Peter looks middle eastern. The rest look white - so not massively accurate at all. Better to say "as inaccurate as traditional representations".
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X