• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Hong Kong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I hope they do support the HK'ers with rights to live in the UK etc.

I feel we have a responsibility towards HK
    Totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I hope they do support the HK'ers with rights to live in the UK etc.

I feel we have a responsibility towards HK
      Yeah, like that’s going to help 99% of them.

They were sold out 25 years ago, China is just doing their stuff a bit (10-15 years?) earlier than they agreed, but implicitly they were under duress and that paper was not worth jack tulip.

UK/US did feck all for Ukraine despite kind of guaranteeing sovereignty in exchange for nukes and that was to tinpot dictator, China is 1000 times stronger.

Better buckle up for Taiwan, which is up next.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Gwd I wish I din't agree with you right now.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          He is practically rolling out the red carpet to Hong Kong for the Chinese.

Hinkley Point: the ‘dreadful deal’ behind the world’s most expensive power plant

Chinese businesses have invested $8.3 billion into the UK between January & August 2019, compared to $6.1 billion for the whole of 2018. ... The increased investment in 2019 is partly due to currency fluctuations brought on by the UK's pending exit from the European Union (EU).

China Set to Invest £105bn in UK Infrastructure by 2025

Easily the worst PM in living memory. Beyond soundbites I don't think he's got a clue about world politics beyond that of the average expat. Truly alarming

Hit them where it hurts with the only thing they understand, money. He has a plethora of options before him and all he need do is pick up the bloody phone. No backbone though, so don't expect anything.
          Go on then, talk me through the illegal wars he led us into, or the blood on his hands from the deaths of..., oh, wait, don't they matter because they're not British people that he's responsible for the deaths of?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yeah, like that’s going to help 99% of them.

They were sold out 25 years ago, China is just doing their stuff a bit (10-15 years?) earlier than they agreed, but implicitly they were under duress and that paper was not worth jack tulip.

UK/US did feck all for Ukraine despite kind of guaranteeing sovereignty in exchange for nukes and that was to tinpot dictator, China is 1000 times stronger.

Wait till the populace of Africa & Europe realise China owns them.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Easy enough for sovereign countries to pass laws to deal with PRC ownership of bonds and productive assets. The former at lease would be seen as a massive sovereign debt default, but if countries acted in concert, what are you going to do, CCP, with all those certificates of ownership and what not?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                UK will go to war to liberate Africa from China or give them UK citizenship?

Trump won’t do a damn thing about China, which is why they are doing it now (while he is still in power to do nothing).

China is playing smart long game and the West gets dumber and more short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Easy enough for sovereign countries to pass laws to deal with PRC ownership of bonds and productive assets. The former at lease would be seen as a massive sovereign debt default, but if countries acted in concert, what are you going to do, CCP, with all those certificates of ownership and what not?
                  1. Release novel swine flu
                  2. Hold off PPE supplies

Comment

1. Release novel swine flu
                    2. Hold off PPE supplies
                    Something tells me that could escalate real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Something tells me that could escalate real fast.
                      To what - worldwide boycott of Chinese goods?

People in the West can’t stick inside for 2 months (on full pay!), can they stop buying tulip they don’t need for a year or two?

Comment

Working...
                      X