• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices ready to shoot up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices ready to shoot up

BoJo offers three million Hong Kong residents the chance to come and settle in the UK.

Hong Kong: UK makes citizenship offer to residents - BBC News
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    BoJo offers three million Hong Kong residents the chance to come and settle in the UK.

Hong Kong: UK makes citizenship offer to residents - BBC News
    Bwilliant....

Time to get my IOW property at a steal. Wonder which bit is going to be the new Kowloon; Sandown or Shanklin?

Daniel Hannan

The arrival of a couple of million enterprising Hong Kongers would be a huge economic boost as we emerge from the Covid recession, and show what Global Britain really means. Should we build a new charter city, a Hong Kong of our own, so to speak? If so, where?
    The most popular suggestion seems to be the Isle of Wight.

Comment

Cynical move done in full knowledge almost nobody will use that offer.

Pretty pathetic surrender

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Cynical move done in full knowledge almost nobody will use that offer.

Pretty pathetic surrender
        The educated will either stay in Hong Kong or go elsewhere. The uneducated and sick will come to the UK.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          The educated will either stay in Hong Kong or go elsewhere. The uneducated and sick will come to the UK.
          HK residents who’ll decide to flee would be much better off claiming asylum in EU, especially if they are sick.

And what if (or when) China actually prods all 3 mln to take up on offer - a nice leverage against any UK Prime Minister, thanks to Boris.
          Last edited by AtW; 1 July 2020, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
            Bwilliant....

Time to get my IOW property at a steal. Wonder which bit is going to be the new Kowloon; Sandown or Shanklin?

Daniel Hannan
            Kowloon is on the mainland ..... so for us that would be Southampton
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

You are missing the point people...
              If brexit goes bad and you loose a lot of Europeans that fear becoming "second class citizens".
              And the gammons to covid since they will flood the pubs as soon as they are open. And second wave will do it's thing.

You suddenly have a back-up plan and can import people that feel they don't have a choice. You have options.

You are in control of the flow anyway since you provide the jobs... only a few nutters will come without a job. And those that have money to spend would be welcomed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                You suddenly have a back-up plan and can import people that feel they don't have a choice. You have options.
                Why would most people who live in Hong Kong decide to make such a drastic change and move to the UK, especially after Brexit? UK passports are now massively devalued.

Not counting small number of activists who'd be preferring UK to Chinese jail (if they manage to escape, which I doubt given how tight Chinese control data).

Comment

If you are being sarcastic... than yes, it's no point on coming here.
                  But do not under-estimate desperate people. Or people that feel that they no longer have a place there, they "no longer live in a democracy"(whatever that is). Language barrier is non-existent, US is difficult to reach.
                  Who knows...? I guess we'll live and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    HK residents who’ll decide to flee would be much better off claiming asylum in EU, especially if they are sick.

And what if (or when) China actually prods all 3 mln to take up on offer - a nice leverage against any UK Prime Minister, thanks to Boris.
                    You want them to flee one oppressive regime for another? That's not very nice...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X