• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for all you BTL-ers.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    What led you to the assumption I was being a clever bugger?
    It would have been helpful to have this later clarity in your OP; it was this initial lack of clarity that lead to my earlier assumption.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
      Its a minimum of 24 hours notice required.
      Quiet enjoyment of property is the phrase your daughter needs for defence.
      "The landlord is preventing my quiet enjoyment of the property." You are almost onto breach of contract with that.
      I hope your daughter gets it sorted soon her job is very stressful as it is!
      Landlord probably is unaware of landlord and tenant act - this would NOT surprise me.
      Any questions ask and I know a few legal chaps and chappeses that work this field if you need them.
      There is also something in L&T about "exclusive possession"; basically it meas if you pay your rent, then that is a fair deal and the landlord can'd then rabble on every five minutes about it being his property. Landlords can only have reasonable access. There is a bit about it here...

Shelter Legal England - What is a tenancy?

In any event, try and talk to them nicely about it first. It seems to me they want their cake and eat it too.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        It seems to me they want their cake and eat it too.
        Exactly. Thank you for all the advice and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          There is also something in L&T about "exclusive possession"; basically it meas if you pay your rent, then that is a fair deal and the landlord can'd then rabble on every five minutes about it being his property. Landlords can only have reasonable access. There is a bit about it here...

Shelter Legal England - What is a tenancy?

In any event, try and talk to them nicely about it first. It seems to me they want their cake and eat it too.
          Sounds like he's tried that. Legal situation aside, this appear to be part of their life so I can't see for one minute they are going to stop it if they enjoy it. They are much more likely just to want CFL jnr to leave.

I can't see what is going to resolve this so personally I'd be spending more time discussing an exit clause thst suits both parties and moving on. OP mentions it doesn't feel like her house now and in my experience of renting that never comes back so time to move on I'd say.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Sounds like he's tried that. Legal situation aside, this appear to be part of their life so I can't see for one minute they are going to stop it if they enjoy it. They are much more likely just to want CFL jnr to leave.

I can't see what is going to resolve this so personally I'd be spending more time discussing an exit clause thst suits both parties and moving on. OP mentions it doesn't feel like her house now and in my experience of renting that never comes back so time to move on I'd say.

Yes but in that case she needs to get out of the contract without penalty or a poor reference. if she can show their behaviour is illegal then the agent should supply a good reference.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You don't half impart some wise advice, despite all the "ask your accountant" posts.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Yes but in that case she needs to get out of the contract without penalty or a poor reference. if she can show their behaviour is illegal then the agent should supply a good reference.
                For clarity the contract is in my name. CFL Jr gets paid in pretty shells & coloured beads by the NHS, so I am accountable for this one.

Comment

For clarity the contract is in my name. CFL Jr gets paid in pretty shells & coloured beads by the NHS, so I am accountable for this one.

Fair enough but I wouldn't want to pay a bad landlord any extra money or have trouble renting another property because of a reference.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If she needs the reference, she was living with her dad!
                    Not a lot a landlord can say to that generally.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      She does so what I am saying is focus on that. IMO it shouldn't be difficult to convince both parties neither will budge so the only viable solution is to tear it up and move on. Not every landlord works like this so may have her work cut out. I was just saying I'd start down that direction rather trying the landlord to comply to what she wants and then trying a clean exit. They may not be so eager to meet halfway after a fight.

I don't believe you need to prove anyone has done anything illegal for all parties come out of this happy with the resolution.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X