• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for all you BTL-ers.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    She does so what I am saying is focus on that. IMO it shouldn't be difficult to convince both parties neither will budge so the only viable solution is to tear it up and move on. Not every landlord works like this so may have her work cut out. I was just saying I'd start down that direction rather trying the landlord to comply to what she wants and then trying a clean exit. They may not be so eager to meet halfway after a fight.

I don't believe you need to prove anyone has done anything illegal for all parties come out of this happy with the resolution.
    if you can explain to the agent the Landlord is misbehaving you may have a chance.

You want to exit the agreement, have a decent reference and get your deposit back. Only way you can do that is get the Agent on your side.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      if you can explain to the agent the Landlord is misbehaving you may have a chance.

You want to exit the agreement, have a decent reference and get your deposit back. Only way you can do that is get the Agent on your side.
      Not really. How many posts do we see on here where contractor (or landlord), agent just wants to get on and let the property for free money in out money, not being punch bag for landlord AND tenant. All shake hands, smile and everyone is on their way.

Not all agreements need to end with someone misbehaving or with one party losing out.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        If I was to rent a property in the UK under a 12 month STA, with no exclusions or clauses to use of buildings in the contract between myself and the Landlord, would the land register title plan be the go to as to what land and buildings are included in the rental?

They shouldn't just let themselves in, easy.

An 8 METRE fence did you say?!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

It could well be that the landlord has made an ambiguous contract by design and they are exercising their right to part of the property because they are apprehensive about tenants in general. Either way, if its a near standard tenancy agreement, the tenant does not stand a chance.

I will tell you two cases I know of.

Case one.
          T went into a tenancy agreement with L. L verbally stated that T has the use of the garden terrace and the only access to the terrace was via T's flat. Some years later, L in the early hours of the morning, L reached the terrace by ladder and blocked up the door to the terrace. During the next week L built and extension without planning permission on the terrace.

T sued for access to the terrace. T lost as the judge said he needed implicit written permission to use the terrace otherwise the use would merely be considered as tolerated trespass by T. T was order to pay costs of the case to L. L then applied for retrospective planning permission.

Case two. (Reported Case about ten years ago)
          T had a long term lease of the whole property including the marked boundary as per the land registry. The lease was protected under Sec 2 of the 1954 act. (The lease can be automatically renewed by T) The property was situated in the town centre. Every time L drove to the town, L parked on the land leased by T.

T regularly complained to L that T was blocking the way by parking on the land.

The time came for lease renewal but L objected on the grounds that T's complaints were harassment even though L was in the wrong.

It went as far as the High Court that found for L. Above all, in leases, the relationship and behaviour of a tenant to the Landlord is important.

Landlord and Tenant law is medieval, it dates back to serfdom.

Up until 1832 only landlords had the right to vote when the law was reformed to allow to men (not women) who occupied property with an annual value of £10 to vote. This still excluded most people. Most of the L&T laws were passed when landlords had the electoral power.

I think full suffrage was not until about 1918?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X