• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data point to soaring US gun sales in June

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That said I think the only point of this thread was to show us you had an FT subscription... You could have posted this news from another source that most people on here can't read. It's either a smart move to show off your membership or a dumb move to start a thread we could join in.

Yeah that was it - check out my FT membership boys - woah ho ho!

Who'd have thought a FT subscription would become a 'something to show off' about. Class divide n all that I suppose.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Are the sales broken down by calibre?
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

That said I think the only point of this thread was to show us you had an FT subscription... You could have posted this news from another source that most people on here can't read. It's either a smart move to show off your membership or a dumb move to start a thread we could join in.
        It's £1 for four weeks of access. If you prefer being tracked and are a cheapskate then paste the URL into google and view the article and comments for free.

Supporting high quality journalism is a worthwhile endeavor. The FT stands well above the Telegraph in terms of quality business, economic and world news.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Are the sales broken down by calibre?
          Yes. They are all low caliber individuals.

Comment

Rising civil unrest leading to people arming themselves to protect their homes? Wow.

In unrelated news, umbrella sales increase as rainy season approaches.

Journalism has got weaker and weaker and it should be the media that get defunded, not the police.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'm not surprised, it wasn't the police that stopped a 'peaceful' protest in their living room.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Journalism has got weaker and weaker and it should be the media that get defunded, not the police.
                And that is probably the truest thing that's been said, not only for this situation but many others before and I am sure to come.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And that is probably the truest thing that's been said, not only for this situation but many others before and I am sure to come.
                  "and, I am sure, to come."

Otherwise it sounds as if you are ejaculating forthwith at the state of journalism. Mind you, this wouldn't surprise me.

Journalism hasn't worsened if you refer only to the main broadsheets. They've always had nuances, errors and inherent bias within some of their editorials. Decreased quality of education of the public and their developed inability to critically analyse such bias is the primary reason that the world appears to be more unstable. Truth is, it was always this unstable. As new sources of information emerge, however factually inaccurate they may be, it's easy to understand we just now hear more about world events, even quicker than ever once thought possible.

People have their own bias, don't recognise it, and unduly get upset when the way in which news articles are written or broadcast doesn't match their world view and bias.

If you're looking for news, I maintain that the FT remains up there with the best in the UK. Some of the articles are wealthy claptrap (see James Max' "Rich People Problems", but this is offset by the detailed explanations of world events, with evidence provided. Is it always correct? No, but nothing ever is. Good journalism is worth paying for, but people are addicted to online junk websites.
                  Last edited by rogerfederer; 3 July 2020, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    Decreased quality of education of the public and their developed inability to critically analyse such bias is the primary reason that the world appears to be more unstable.
                    Spot on.

Might add, to take everything in balance. Too many are just interested in their own opinion. If you want to resolve an argument you need to listen to both sides of the story.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Spot on.

Might add, to take everything in balance. Too many are just interested in their own opinion. If you want to resolve an argument you need to listen to both sides of the story.
                      Exactly. It's now football theory applied to politics and any world event, except football itself doesn't matter. It's now team vs team and two sides shouting at one another.

I still maintain that the best solution would be a centrist party in each country for a few years to bring back sensibile solution and talking. Swinging wildly from right to left and back is unstable in itself and stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      X