• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

John Lewis outsources to Wipro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Where I work, it's all gone to InfoSys. Easier to hire, one email and a developer or tester arrives onsite within a week from India, no tax hassles (they are not tax resident here and all earnings are paid in India), no HR involvement (which adds mountains of paperwork and about 3 months delay).

Why use UK people?
    And yet companies keep on doing it, I wonder if it's something to do with quality of developers in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      And yet companies keep on doing it, I wonder if it's something to do with quality of developers in the UK.

Its not the quality its the cost.

They charge per body lots of bodies=lots of moolah.

If they pay them sod all and no tax that is a bonus.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It has to do with everything.

The HR and management bods understand only control and money. They don't understand technical knowledge and experience.
        Most of them (justly) believe that if people are motivated enough could overcome the everyday challenges even thought they might not be 100% at that point.

One that comes from a less developed country will come for the excitement, reward will be an improvement anyway.
        £3000 net is a lot of rupies even though it's borderline poverty in London. (they don't get even that)
        And they don't want to be sent back (pride and many other factors)-> so they will work harder and be more dedicated. More gullible the management bs.
        Long term they will figure it out and find a new path, but there is always a fresh batch of green between the ears.

UK people are just tired of the system and have seen the cost of living and are sometimes just out of hope going for a 50k role.

We live in a management feudalism in which the upper ranks are making life easier for themselves.
        All we can do is fight our own fight, subtly putting it out to people that want to listen.
        And hopefully we'll get a fairer word for ourselves.

How do I know? I am one of those coming here for the promise of a fairer life.
        Last edited by GigiBronz; 4 July 2020, 14:45.

Comment

I tend to work with smaller companies, they still seem to value the technical expertise of UK developers.

Comment

I tend to work with smaller companies, they still seem to value the technical expertise of UK developers.
            Smaller companies can't save £millions at the stroke of a pen by choosing the cheapest option. By the time that everyone realises the cheapest option will ultimately cost millions (Hello BA, that decision didn't work out so well, did it?) the CIO will have spent his lovely bonus and moved on to pastures new, to repeat the process until someone works out he is an idiot, which hasn't happened yet.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
            X