• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin news!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    But you do though, implicitly. It's called a margin call, and means you are now bankrupt.
    This is where the genius of Pooper really shines - on his unlicensed dodgy broker he used your name/address in Swindon, buckle up for bailiffs!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Nice story - I used to be polar opposite, make a fortune and then ride it all the way down again. I have a strategy that I follow to the T. No deviation. In simple terms the strategy is to buy low sell high. Sure I said it before, 97% or thereabouts of retail cannot do it.

As for exits, I think you're asking about stop losses, I don't use them myself. If I had used one today, it would have gone off and liquidated my position at market no matter the price.

I imagine a lot of people in a similar position would now panic and look to liquidate their position and call it a day. That's emotion making decisions. Patience is key. If you don't believe in yourself you're on the wrong bus.
      OK. So you didn't understand the point I was trying to make. I'm not talking about stop losses.

It's not about "believing" in yourself. That's irrelevant. That's something that pop-star wannabe's say.

It's about having a plan for both good and bad outcomes. Having a plan today means that you can execute that plan should the time come without emotion.

With a "long position" your risk is limited to the amount of capital you invested. With a "short position", your risk is theoretically unlimited. With a leveraged short position its potentially astronomical.

I don't know you. It doesn't effect my life whether you make or lose a ton of money. However, behind every post is a real human, and it feels to me like you are digging yourself into a hole with this thread and the arguments between you and ATW et al.

So my advice is have a plan. You don't need to share it, or acknowledge it. But you should know when and how you would close any position that you have taken.

Comment

Pooper’s got a plan in case things go wrong: wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          be very careful with 2x and 3x derivatives. I have burnt my hands with them many times.
          We are watching your trade because we dont want you to go bankrupt and come back to UK

I only play with up to a max of 5% per trade - anything above that is gambling.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            OK. So you didn't understand the point I was trying to make. I'm not talking about stop losses.

It's not about "believing" in yourself. That's irrelevant. That's something that pop-star wannabe's say.

It's about having a plan for both good and bad outcomes. Having a plan today means that you can execute that plan should the time come without emotion.

With a "long position" your risk is limited to the amount of capital you invested. With a "short position", your risk is theoretically unlimited. With a leveraged short position its potentially astronomical.

I don't know you. It doesn't effect my life whether you make or lose a ton of money. However, behind every post is a real human, and it feels to me like you are digging yourself into a hole with this thread and the arguments between you and ATW et al.

So my advice is have a plan. You don't need to share it, or acknowledge it. But you should know when and how you would close any position that you have taken.

I do have a plan. As above I don't risk more than 5% per trade, usually 3%.

I don't know where you've got the idea I've taken a short position. There is no margin at stake. I'm betting the market is going to south and I'm using a leveraged derivative.

I don't do margin trading. That's for wannabe get rich quick retail.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I do have a plan. As above I don't risk more than 5% per trade, usually 3%.

I don't know where you've got the idea I've taken a short position. There is no margin at stake. I'm betting the market is going to south and I'm using a leveraged derivative.

No worries then. As to the "short" - I probably just misread it when I skimmed through the thread.

Here's another story.

Got a "mate" ( well, bloke-down-the-pub ) who was always going on about how clever he was at trading. Shorting Tesla was his game. Bit of an ass to be honest.

Anyway, he kept piling in, taking more and more short positions. It didn't matter how many times or how carefully and tactfully a whole range of people tried to explain the risk he was taking, he just wouldn't listen.

He'd always tell you about the successes but never about the losses. Until he was pissed and then the true figures would come out.

Anyway, one day, Tesla starts to rocket and before he can do anything ... BOOM! Margin call. Positions closed on his behalf. His stake at the table gone.

That's the problem with day-trading. It's scratch-cards for the middle-classes. Picking up pennies in front of a steamroller.

You do right to stay clear from it.

Comment

Never never day trade. I don't understand why folks do. The stress would drive me to the wall.

Swing trades, however. They are awesome. Study one market and stick with it. You can be days or weeks in a position. I think that's where TA delivers the most opportunities.

Investing I do, which are only traded annually.

Comment

“Retail”. That’s cute. Owning a couple of dell ultrasharps and shouting into your mobile like Dom Jolly doesn’t make you a “professional”, scootie.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    “Retail”. That’s cute. Owning a couple of dell ultrasharps and shouting into your mobile like Dom Jolly doesn’t make you a “professional”, scootie.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Why does anyone bother interacting with Pooper, he comes out with endless, contradictory, ill informed nonsense.

Pooper, go for it mate, we can't wait to see the selfie of you sitting in one of your new Lambos!

Comment

Working...
                      X