• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone done a Thrivia test?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone done a Thrivia test?

Recently did a blood test with them, supposed to give you a bit of a health check.

The sodding thing came back with my liver was irritated and to reduce my alcohol intake.

I hardly drink nowadays, so a bit pissed off about that. At this rate I will be teetotal.

My immediate thought is what is the baseline? What does an irriated liver mean, how irrated is Mr Averages liver? What level of alchohol do you need to stop it being irriated? I would think the answer is zero because it's bad for you but that's not realistic.
    Caffeine is bad for you and I'm sure a test from a company that is trying to sell or prove something could come back with what bad things caffeine is doing to you as well.
    Another one is cholestoral. Who hasn't had a test that says their levels are not right/healthy but then not done anything about it and will still live a long normal life.

Is there some level of irritation that is the normal?. I mean, look at Cojak. She appears to be irritated every breathing minute but it doesn't need fixing.

Before worrying about anything I'd be taking these to my doctor and getting them to give you an impartial opinon of the results. If it is irritated then maybe then can suggest further testing to give you either piece of mind or a more medical diagnosis/fix.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Recently did a blood test with them, supposed to give you a bit of a health check.

The sodding thing came back with my liver was irritated and to reduce my alcohol intake.

I hardly drink nowadays, so a bit pissed off about that. At this rate I will be teetotal.
      As an alcoholic, I'm obviously concerned about my liver. Blood tests are not sufficient. A liver will waltz along quite happily on 10% functionality - and then make you very very ill at 9.9%.

Please go and discuss this with a doctor.

Most likely you're fine.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Spelling test is in order for the Accountant-Caller...
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Never heard of them so can't say if they're any good or not.

I have often found my GP gives much more pragmatic advise than any random 'health' test. You should get a free NHS baseline check when you hit 40 that will show up any areas of concern. If you haven't had one, book it in.

I used to have some kind of sickness benefit cover that used to offer discounts for 'healthy' test results. Every year they'd say my BMI and cholesterol were too high and that due to the risk these posed to my health I should immediately seek assistance from my GP.

My GP said my weight was a tad over, but not exactly life threatening, and my cholesterol was within a perfectly normal range for my age.

I ended up cancelling the benefit cover because their nagging about stats over common sense wore me out.

Comment

Yes, oddly enough - I did one a few weeks back and have another to do. I'm trying to rule out migraine causes so checked all the boxes.

Apparently I stuffed the diabetes sample so that didn't come back, but other than that the only issue was low B12 which I need to explore.

I think the other posters are perhaps being overly cynical. Like I say, the only thing with any commentary was B12 and it just mentioned taking supplements. Certainly no scaremongering or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Yes, oddly enough - I did one a few weeks back and have another to do. I'm trying to rule out migraine causes so checked all the boxes.

Apparently I stuffed the diabetes sample so that didn't come back, but other than that the only issue was low B12 which I need to explore.

I think the other posters are perhaps being overly cynical. Like I say, the only thing with any commentary was B12 and it just mentioned taking supplements. Certainly no scaremongering or whatever.
              Yep exactly, i like knowing and finding out as much detail as possible. Don’t think you need to be a doctor to understand most of it. I see iti the same way my watch records my resting heart beat, activity etc.

I also use a Spirohome to measure lung capacity etc. It something i find quite interesting. Its good to have something objective to look at, perhaps what i think is only a little bit of drinking is perhaps too much for my body.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I also use a Spirohome to measure lung capacity etc. It something i find quite interesting. Its good to have something objective to look at, perhaps what i think is only a little bit of drinking is perhaps too much for my body.
                Not much of a body though to be fair is it
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thriva

Comment

Worth popping in to see your GP (or more likely at the moment, have a phone consultation). They'll be happy to do a liver function blood test for you and advise you about the results.

I have a battery of tests every year because of my heart stuff, which includes a liver function test as statins can affect the liver. One year when my GP thought the figures for that one were a bit too high, he advised me to knock off the booze completely for about three months or so. He explained that the liver is the only major organ that can fully heal itself (unless you've really knackered it, and if it was in that state you'd know about it without any tests). So I followed his advice, and my liver went back to normal

Comment

Working...
                    X