• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to Cornwall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
    It's the new North Wales.

I always remember that Not The Nine O' Clock News sketch.

Come home to a real fire....

...buy a cottage in Wales
    I've bought ten tickets for this house raffle

Not much chance of winning the cottage in North Wales, but I reckon the odds are orders of magnitude better than the rip-off National Lottery
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Not much chance of winning the cottage in North Wales, but I reckon the odds are orders of magnitude better than the rip-off National Lottery
      I had a go at a house raffle a good while back. I never heard the outcome so that was money wasted. Have to be a bit careful with those things as they're not regulated.

Selling our homes through a property raffle was supposed to be simple but left us losers – The Sun
      Last edited by ladymuck; 10 July 2020, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

When they find out you're English, it will be 'a quantity of assorted fire-damaged bricks'...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Tips for a hassle free holiday in Cornwall

Especially when going to local shops or pubs.

1) Don't turn up in a flash motor (if you think a 1-year old beamer is not flash, you need to reframe)
          2) If your car has a roof box, take it off and leave it where you're staying
          3) Don't wear shorts (keep these strictly for the beach)
          4) If your kids have pretentious names, don't utter those names around locals
          5) Don't be arrogant or condescending (even if you think the locals are halfwits)
          6) Don't enquire about visitor attractions or other touristy things
          7) Don't ask if they stock poncey things like Quinoa
          8) And, finally, don't look like you're having a good time

Enjoy!
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot

9) If confronted, tell them you live in Turo and you're just on a day trip (you can get away with this even if you have a la-di-da accent)
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I had a go at a house raffle a good while back. I never heard the outcome so that was money wasted. Have to be a bit careful with those things as they're not regulated.

Selling our homes through a property raffle was supposed to be simple but left us losers – The Sun
              Me too. One of their favourite tricks is to claim the number of "entries" must reach a minimum threshold for the draw to proceed.

But entries are not the same as individual tickets, and most punters pay once for a batch order of several tickets which counts as only one entry!

So the moral is, always pay for each ticket individually, even if this is more effort.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The main problem is most of the people aren't running it like a business that is handling upwards of £650,000. Renu Qadri didn't even understand the rules properly and failed to meet the critera of a raffle so running an illegal lottery, the second guy didn't set aside advertising so didn't get enough. It's not just a matter of starting a quick website and collecting over half a million in money. It's got to be done properly so in the most it's their own faults. The story about the guy deciding to keep his property isn't quite true as they put it and they were a right swindling pair anyway. Funnily enough Howard mentioned in that is one of my friends so I know he's doing it properly even if they aren't selling out.

There are a few that have sprung up recently advertising on TV and running massive marketing campaigns that look like they are going to sell and there are quite a number that sold out properly.

The law around these need changing. The idea is there but the law as it stands just isn't ready for raffles of these values and sadly draws in the wrong type of people to run them.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Now they're electrocuting people!!

Cornish drinkers catch a different kind of buzz as pub installs electric fence at bar • The Register

Comment

KUATB https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...cing-pubs.html

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      Tips for a hassle free holiday in Cornwall

Especially when going to local shops or pubs.

1) Don't turn up in a flash motor (if you think a 1-year old beamer is not flash, you need to reframe)
                      2) If your car has a roof box, take it off and leave it where you're staying
                      3) Don't wear shorts (keep these strictly for the beach)
                      4) If your kids have pretentious names, don't utter those names around locals
                      5) Don't be arrogant or condescending (even if you think the locals are halfwits)
                      6) Don't enquire about visitor attractions or other touristy things
                      7) Don't ask if they stock poncey things like Quinoa
                      8) And, finally, don't look like you're having a good time

Enjoy!
                      5) is not exactly Cornwall specific and shouldn't really need saying... as for 7... are you going to Cornwall in the 60s?

Cornish people are pretty laid back if you're not a dick. Parking on their drive, don't know how to navigate narrow country roads, etc
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X