• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to Cornwall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I saw that after posting my finding in what I thought was the most appropriate location and decided I really didn't care

Comment

Cornwall is great if you respect it and aren't a patronising gimp. It's a totally different pace of life down there.

What is funny is when you're staying in a rented house and see the "posh people" in their twin-axle caravans hauled by Chelsea tractors. They're still pissing in a cupboard.

Golden rule to stay safe - always take your rubbish back to your accommodation. There are signs at a couple of local beaches saying "enjoy the beach and leave only your footprints behind".
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I have the same message for anyone thinking of visiting Swindon.
        All three of them?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Cornwall is great if you respect it and aren't a patronising gimp. It's a totally different pace of life down there.

What is funny is when you're staying in a rented house and see the "posh people" in their twin-axle caravans hauled by Chelsea tractors. They're still pissing in a cupboard.

Golden rule to stay safe - always take your rubbish back to your accommodation. There are signs at a couple of local beaches saying "enjoy the beach and leave only your footprints behind".
          It's pretty tragic this needs to be said I mean ok, a stray wrapper from your choc-ice here and there is one thing, but just leaving a bag of rubbish lying around...

The sheer abount of crap on beaches is incredible. I loosely know a photographer down there campaigning on this sort of thing and it's heartbreaking.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just heard this from someone I know in another Cornish village.

The local shop decided to introduce mandatory face covering a while ago. They've just banned a family on holiday for refusing to cover up. The family said they came on holiday to "get away from that sort of thing".
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I've bought ten tickets for this house raffle

Not much chance of winning the cottage in North Wales, but I reckon the odds are orders of magnitude better than the rip-off National Lottery
              Just thad a horrible thought.

If I did perchance win the cottage and decided to sell it, and it wasn't my primary residence, I'd have to pay capital gains tax on the whole sale price!

Feck that, I'd rather keep it and let it rot back into the ground!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If I did perchance win the cottage and decided to sell it, and it wasn't my primary residence, I'd have to pay capital gains tax on the whole sale price!

So you'd be willing to bin off around £275k because you'd have to pay capital gains?

Technically, you could ask the raffle winner how much they took in total and use that as the buy price? The capital gains calculation may work out a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Technically, you could ask the raffle winner how much they took in total and use that as the buy price? The capital gains calculation may work out a lot better.
                  Hmm, it's a possibility I suppose.

One could argue the other contestants subsidised my "purchase", like a parent contributing towards a buy to let which one of their offspring purchased.

But then I might be liable for a load of gift tax!

Comment

You might be able to deduct lottery ticket cost

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

You might be able to deduct lottery ticket cost
                      Maybe that suggestion was well intended. But sometimes, AtW, you can be really quite annoying.

Comment

Working...
                      X