• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative Careers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative Careers

Anyone one else considered going off and doing something completely different instead of contracting, especially in a post CV, IR35, Brexit wasteland? After visiting the countryside for the first time this year I'm off to research how to become a diversified tenant farmer.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

I chucked it altogether 3 years ago and now I'm a full time laser engraver/cutter.

Obviously, the money is not as easy and reliable, but life is a lot more interesting
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      Anyone one else considered going off and doing something completely different instead of contracting, especially in a post CV, IR35, Brexit wasteland? After visiting the countryside for the first time this year I'm off to research how to become a diversified tenant farmer.
      Same here i invested some money into a place in france finishing off the holiday homes that will be my income. UK HMRC have nothing but contempt for people wanting to work an alternative life ie contracting, prefer to pay it to french gov instead.

Comment

I have thought about it but have no idea what I'd do. I'm barely competent at the job I'm currently trying to do.

If only stacking shelves paid £100k

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I have thought about it but have no idea what I'd do. I'm barely competent at the job I'm currently trying to do.

It does if you work at Tiffany. (And do a bit of quiet thieving on the side...)
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You don't have to be. You just have to be able to pretend convincingly enough.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

WSS! (applied to me)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                You don't have to be. You just have to be able to pretend convincingly enough.

Fake it till you make it.

I'm the Meg Ryan of IT workers.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

In the last downturn it was all about becoming a plumber and/or heating engineer.

Now that gas heating and cooking is being phased out to save the planet from catastrophic warming ()

Low-carbon heating to replace gas in new UK homes after 2025 | Energy | The Guardian

I would say you should seriously look at becoming an electrician.

2018 Trades Salary Survey: Electrician Salary Data

However, depending on where you are based in the country, on average it appears that an experienced electrician working in the South East charges £45 per hour or £350 per day.
                  The fact is, the work is always out there as an electrician, there's almost zero bench time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    In the last downturn it was all about becoming a plumber and/or heating engineer.

Now that gas heating and cooking is being phased out to save the planet from catastrophic warming ()

Low-carbon heating to replace gas in new UK homes after 2025 | Energy | The Guardian

I would say you should seriously look at becoming an electrician.

2018 Trades Salary Survey: Electrician Salary Data

The fact is, the work is always out there as an electrician, there's almost zero bench time ever.

In the home its dirty hard work but you don't have to pay much tax.

Permie electricians £30-£45k.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X