• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative Careers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started taking bookings on my bus for Turkey and Tinsel so things beginning to look up

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Permie electricians £30-£45k.

Same as most permie IT jobs then.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        In the home its dirty hard work but you don't have to pay much tax.

Permie electricians £30-£45k.
        Dirty work and fiddly. Working in a hot loft or damp basement or overflowing garage with stale air and ancient crap wiring isn't fun, A job for the youngsters unless one likes a permanently sore back and scarred calloused hands

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          Dirty work and fiddly. Working in a hot loft or damp basement or overflowing garage with stale air and ancient crap wiring isn't fun, A job for the youngsters unless one likes a permanently sore back and scarred calloused hands
          Precisely.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            You don't have to be. You just have to be able to pretend convincingly enough.
            NAT has been pretending to be a competent mod for years (with varying degrees of success).

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
              So what we are saying is we want some super paying alternative to IT, that means you are never on the bench, and involves no hard work whatsoever...

Apart from being an MP, head of HR or some cushy civil service number, I think you are out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                Anyone one else considered going off and doing something completely different instead of contracting, especially in a post CV, IR35, Brexit wasteland? After visiting the countryside for the first time this year I'm off to research how to become a diversified tenant farmer.
                Plan is to find a cushy permie job with good benefits, so probably in local government or banking, then progressively cut my hours until I get to a part-time/3 days a week situation, and spend the rest of my time building wooden furniture to sell on etsy to hipsters.

Comment

In the next couple of months I am planning to remove all recurring costs that are not absolutely necessary to get monthly outgoings to a minimum.

Then I am going to get any light job that will pay bills and put food on the table and then I will focus on exploring couple of options.

I have a few business ideas to test and develop, but maybe also this is the time to consider moving to Australia / New Zealand or Canada.

Comment

Always wanted to be a pilot. got someway down the route in 2006 with a cadet program for a major. That imploded with the 07/08 fiscal crash so reverted back to IT and later contracting.

By the time things had recovered, cadet programs were long gone and I couldn't justify the switch; £100K training, loss of income while training and dire pay rates for low hours crew...

With hindsight, ducked a bullet!

M

Comment

Car detailing. Have open offer for when I retire.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X