• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel Culture?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish man fined for calling an Irish man a leprechaun

I mean, it's funny, but... it's completely fooked up.

And this is with the current laws, the new ones currently being made a conviction here will rely upon only a person feeling hurt...

Beware Scotland’s hate crime bill

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Scottish man fined for calling an Irish man a leprechaun

I mean, it's funny, but... it's completely fooked up.

And this is with the current laws, the new ones currently being made a conviction here will rely upon only a person feeling hurt...

Beware Scotland’s hate crime bill
      Well I didn't know Scotland was changing it's law. Haggis eating, skirt waving bunch of dandies.

Comment

He wasn't fined for calling an Irishman a leprechaun. He was fined mainly for sending an email containing various threats to assault. The reference to leprechaun just meant the offense was considered to be "racially aggravated".

If you'd got beyond the typical outrage triggering "it's PC gone mad" headline, you've have understood that.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Haggis eating
          mmm haggis. Lovely stuff.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            mmm haggis. Lovely stuff.
            Have to agree with you on that point.

Comment

If you'd got beyond the typical outrage triggering "it's PC gone mad" headline, you've have understood that.
              You can't sat that! It's now "PC gone cognitively challenged".

Comment

He wasn't fined for calling an Irishman a leprechaun. He was fined mainly for sending an email containing various threats to assault. The reference to leprechaun just meant the offense was considered to be "racially aggravated".

No, when you are pursuing that charge here if the 'leprechaun' was deemed not to be a racial then he would have got off with the abuse.

It's a fooked up system...

Neil Lennon assault case: an incredible verdict - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Can you evidence that these individuals have severe mental health issues, or is this just your emotional / triggered response?
                  This is a casual conversation on an internet forum. I don't need to spend half a day gathering evidence every time I make a post. Do you really think that's how an internet forum works?

The post was made off of my observations. I will concede that the posts I am likely to see are the more outrageous ones that get more views because they are so extreme so that may skew my viewpoint.

I don't think anyone would argue that cancel culture is the result of a very far swing left and it will come back around the other way. I don't think that's even a controversial viewpoint. You could even argue that it is absolutely necessary to swing far to the left just to be able to come around to an acceptable centred position and I would probably agree somewhat with that statement but it's still annoying to deal with this tulip while we wait for it swing back to the centre.

If you don't believe me, we can bump this thread in 4-5 years and see if cancel culture has become stronger or toned down. I definitely think it will have toned down. Probably won't go away because there is some merit there but in the current form it is not sustainable.

Comment

Minstrone doesn't do detail, prefers simple headlines to fuel his fake rage response.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                      This is a casual conversation on an internet forum. I don't need to spend half a day gathering evidence every time I make a post. Do you really think that's how an internet forum works?

The post was made off of my observations. I will concede that the posts I am likely to see are the more outrageous ones that get more views because they are so extreme so that may skew my viewpoint.

I don't think anyone would argue that cancel culture is the result of a very far swing left and it will come back around the other way. I don't think that's even a controversial viewpoint. You could even argue that it is absolutely necessary to swing far to the left just to be able to come around to an acceptable centred position and I would probably agree somewhat with that statement but it's still annoying to deal with this tulip while we wait for it swing back to the centre.

If you don't believe me, we can bump this thread in 4-5 years and see if cancel culture has become stronger or toned down. I definitely think it will have toned down. Probably won't go away because there is some merit there but in the current form it is not sustainable.
                      OK, so it sounds like you're triggered by people expressing views that you don't agree with, and have decided they have mental health issues, to make yourself feel better. Carry on as before.

Comment

Working...
                      X