• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never ending Linkedin certifcates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I screenshot people's certificates, photoshop them with my name and then post them back as no ****er is going to know if you've done it or not. I also photoshop pictures of me and famous celebrities on FB...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Not sure why you find it annoying?

I find a lot of the content useful. I'm studying for an AWS certification at the moment but I've still done quite a few LinkedIn courses to gain some knowledge of new topics for me like data science and machine learning.

In the upcoming catastrophic job market post the furlough scheme ending, every little bits helps. Saying in an interview that you did a few LinkedIn courses during furlough will sound better than confessing you watched a load of Netflix box sets.

Considering the amount of non-work stuff posted on LinkedIn, a picture of a certificate seems a bit low on my list of things to get wound up about
      Fair enough. These are difficult times and in the short term will get more difficult as the economy really starts to bite.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I've never bothered with Lynda, despite LinkedIn offering me free courses. Did they cost you anything?
        Lynda is now Linkedin Learning and included in premium for around £180/year. It has oodles of stuff - perfect for lockdown
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          That's nice. I've been working for a living.
          Glad that makes you happy.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            Glad that makes you happy.
            well, it's made me happy, 36K net happy

Comment

IMO it's good to put certs from product vendors (Microsoft, AWS, Tableau, etc) or whatever body that is setting standards such as ITIL, Prince2, PMI, etc.

Most of these certs costs from 100 - 250 with a couple a little more expensive than that. They are respected and will help secure contract work. Most of the vendor specific consultants will have these same certs and it's what they are looking for when they are hiring others to work with them. I think most technology and PM contractors here already know this.

I wouldn't put any Linkedin or coursera or any other learning platform designed to teach end users the basics of a technology on your CV. Even if I have done a couple of those courses I probably would avoid mentioning it and instead err on the side of mentioning that I picked up the skill based off existing technical knowledge for similar technology + referencing official documentation + learning as I go on a project and looking up things ad hoc. Rather than having them think I learned the tech skill from a linkedin course.

Linkedin is quite annoying though. Everytime someone posts one of those worthless courses/certs I always am tempted to write a comment saying "It's great you did this course, next step is to take the vendor cert located here it costs £ and will greatly help you get a job in this area" but I never do because it will probably be taken too negatively. Linkedin is the only platform I really censor myself.

Comment

Working...
              X