• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So over 1 million dead from Covid-19 by the end of this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Well here was the leading causes of death in the US in 2017.

FastStats - Leading Causes of Death

This year so far in the USA, 132,000 have died of Covid. At the current rate, by the end of the year it will probably be the No.3 killer of people in the US this year, only cancer and heart disease will top the numbers.
    #

And the key thing to that comment is

Cancer is not contagious and has a treatment plan and some medicine to help
    Heart Disease is not contagious and has a treatment plan and some medicine to help.

Covid-19 is brand new, we have 1 treatment at the moment (Dexa) and no treatment plan as such and its contagious and unknown.

Some alarming things for me to come out of this is a strange realisation that our society isn't quite what it used to be.

Saying "people die from flu so so what" is equivalent to me as saying , well 50,000 people died last year from Car accidents, so we can allow 50,000 more people to die, rather than try and do something to help.

Another alarming thing, is talking about only deaths and writing off people as almost being dead anyway, for having conditions that really aren't terminal . "Pre-existing conditions" would possibly work if it was Cancer with a terminal diagnosis and not a BMI of 30+ or Diabetes (10% of adults have that don't they?) .

Also, not mentioning at all, the elephant in the room - that people just aren't recovering quickly , that have had symptoms - I personally know 2 people who still can't taste or smell and its driven them to tears , 3 months its been now. But you have the poor people who had "persistence" and have what's starting to look like at least long term damage to organs and lung functions, hopefully not permanent.

Talking about economic ruin and huge debts resulting from the 180BN cost of responding to Covid-19 for 6 months, whilst simultaneously refusing to cancel a 120BN HS2 project, against the backdrop of a FTSE 100 that is 50% up on 2010 and GDP at 8% up TODAY as I write this, it's just very alarming.

Hopefully, ContractorUK general has the answers to these fears and I'm just being a "Massive lefty" or something, or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Incorrect it is pandemics and epidemics.
      I assumed it was old age that was the biggest cause of death in humans
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        In UK CV is number 1 cause of death

UK 2018 data
        Ischaemic heart diseases 40,214
        Dementia and Alzheimer disease 26,579
        Malignant neoplasm of trachea, bronchus and lung 18,587
        Chronic lower respiratory diseases 17,988
        Cerebrovascular diseases 15,437
        Influenza and pneumonia 14,708
        Not according to Cancer Research UK - there are 450 cancer deaths per day in the UK, so 165,000 per year ... every year. Even if the death rate of Cov-19 remains the same now for the rest of the year it will still be lower than cancer by some margin.

There are around 165,000 cancer deaths in the UK every year, that's around 450 every day (2015-2017). Cancer accounts for more than a quarter (28%) of all deaths in the UK (2017)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          If a cyclist dies in the woods and no one finds them, are they really dead?

(asking for a friend)
          Who gets to keep their bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Which one? The n+1 bike is lost in the wood with them....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I assumed it was old age that was the biggest cause of death in humans
              Depends where you live.

In developing countries you are lucky if you get to old age, as some disease is going to kill you that's if you manage the survive being born in the first place.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Which one? The n+1 bike is lost in the wood with them....
                Nooooooooooo

Comment

Depends where you live.

In developing countries you are lucky if you get to old age, as some disease is going to kill you that's if you manage the survive being born in the first place.
                  Good point ... I was naively thinking western countries. My bad

Comment

I hear they are sold on auction websites starting at 99p
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Depends where you live.

Much the same here back in the day.

Have a look in a Victorian cemetery.

It's eye opening.

Some parents never managed to raise children to adulthood, despite attempting to do so three, four, or five times.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X