• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone use their lockdown time profitably?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice reading more German was on the to do list, couldn't be a@£. Perhaps a new score for the piano, am yet to print it off.

Can't even be bothered to tidy the office.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Pushed on with my extension a fair bit, but broadly.....no, not really to be honest.

I was busy with work up to May, mind. Pretty dead now though
      Did you need to get anyone in or did it all yourself?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Did you need to get anyone in or did it all yourself?
        I learnt blockwork wasn't for me - in fact that was last year, I got to about the third course of blocks after the DPM and got a bit bored as winter set in anyway. So I got a builder in just at the beginning of COVID to get me from there up to roof height, and then I took it back on. Did the roof, soffit, fascia, guttering etc did all the floor (concrete, insulation, screed), done the studwork, first fix electrics and plumbing. Getting materials has been a pain, but having time during the week has been amazing. Oh and I did pay for windows to be fitted as they did them cheaper than I could.

Just waiting for plaster now - getting somebody in to do that, too. Was originally going to do a course but obviously COVID put pay to any of that.

It has been a trial, though - not sure I'll do it again but at least I can say I did!

Comment

Dunno about others, but for some reason the less I have to do the less I do. Working on a busy project 10 hours a day? Yeah, sure, I'll do another exam, spin up a Plan B project and help a friend out.

Jack all on? Guess that means I'll watch a lot of YouTube.
          Funnily enough, I can be the same.

I haven't had a single non-billing day this year and between Feb and May was working 10-12 hours a day most days. I've been studying for an AWS certification and done plenty of short courses on data science, machine learning and a few other topics.

Subconsciously I probably thought that by the time my gig ends in late summer, the contract and perm markets will be so challenging, now was the time to improve my skills and marketability.

I've probably watched no more than 20 hours of Netflix in that time.

Comment

Pre lockdown I spent 24/7 caring for my housebound disabled wife.
            Lockdown I spent 24/7 caring for my housebound disabled wife.
            Post lockdown I'll be spending 24/7 caring for my housebound disabled wife.

For us, we saw very little difference between lockdown and open. What you guys see as 'lockdown', and all the restrictions and emotions this caused in people, those who are housebound or severely disabled see as their 'normal'.

I also worked 2 days a week so bringing in a bit of pin money
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                This makes you look like a right cock.

Comment

This makes you look like a right cock.
                  he's not the only one looking after someone.
                  he's just the only one on here virtue signalling about it.
                  and i dont give a FF what you think

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    he's not the only one looking after someone.
                    he's just the only one on here virtue signalling about it.
                    and i dont give a FF what you think
                    I don't think you understand what virtue signalling is. Which isn't surprising.

Comment

I don't think you understand what virtue signalling is. Which isn't surprising.
                      see above

Comment

Working...
                      X