• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone use their lockdown time profitably?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked the whole time, WFH IT contractor style.

It was harder than usual as I have two young children who were home the whole time getting bored, needing home-schooling.

Now, bake all our own bread, press our own burgers, kneed pizzas and use a lot more local produce than we did. Bins nearly half as full every fortnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Pre lockdown I spent 24/7 caring for my housebound disabled wife.
      Lockdown I spent 24/7 caring for my housebound disabled wife.
      Post lockdown I'll be spending 24/7 caring for my housebound disabled wife.

For us, we saw very little difference between lockdown and open. What you guys see as 'lockdown', and all the restrictions and emotions this caused in people, those who are housebound or severely disabled see as their 'normal'.

I also worked 2 days a week so bringing in a bit of pin money
      Same here - except its a husband and I didnt do any work.
      BUT I have made some great bread and we will never get takeaway pizza again as home made is soooo much better. My daughter has started to sew her own clothes and i have made a load of funky face masks for family and friends.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        BUT I have made some great bread and we will never get takeaway pizza again as home made is soooo much better. My daughter has started to sew her own clothes and i have made a load of funky face masks for family and friends.
        I like your work.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I like your work.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Took up long distance running and have reached half marathon stage now. Hoping to reach marathon distance by Christmas.

Learning juggling but that has proved to be very hard

Lots of Pluralsight courses but they make me sleepy
            Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            I learnt to juggle when I was a student - house share with a hippy who did street performance - at first, just couldn't get it but once I got it, it suddenly became simple! Weird. I got as good as 4 bean bags and even 3 clubs. Stick at it as once you get it, you'll nail it for ever
            Same here. Once it clicks it's like "how was this so difficult?". I found the key was to think of my hands moving in opposing circles catching and releasing the balls rather than going up and down and throwing them.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

And remember the little ones.

Comment

can you share a pizza recipe that works? I have problems getting the bake right.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

It was utterly cataclysmic for my business, I had to loan money in to keep it going. But I've managed to drop some stuff that I was not wanting to do, get rid of the freeloaders that kept me doing it. That has allowed me to sign a much bigger deal with a far bigger client who wanted exclusivity.

In 6 months time I think I will look back and see the chaos as having been transformational for my own situation. Just a shame 40k pensioners had to get sacrificed for it.

Comment

I made a profit of around £50k during lockdown selling overpriced gloves, chalk, jigsaws and tat to idiots who spent too much time buying junk on Amazon Prime
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      can you share a pizza recipe that works? I have problems getting the bake right.
                      Sure I use this one:-

Recipes - BBC Food

I always use 00 flour and I have a stand mixer to kneed it. The dough will last fine in the fridge for a couple of days - in fact it improves it.
                      I also use a good yeast, I buy Fermipan and keep it in the freezer. It seems to work much quicker that the stuff you get in the supermarket.

I roll mine out as thin as possible and I found having the oven as hot as possible (240 fan) helps.
                      Also it cooks in 8 minutes.

I top with passata, grated cheese, onion, peppers, mushroom, basil and anything else people want. I also found that too much cheese can be detrimental and I LOVE my cheese

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X