• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turkey turns iconic Istanbul museum into mosque

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    In the UK we turn churches into pubs, nightclubs and houses but I don't hear you getting triggered by this.
    6 heavenly church conversions for sale on Zoopla - Zoopla

Just what I was thinking reading this thread.

Comment

The Italians had better restore the Basilica di Santa Maria ad Martyres (Pantheon) to the pagans.

Comment

I couldn't give a toss about the heritage.

The significance of this is Erdogan increasingly wooing the Islamists. Before Erdogan, Turkey was a secular nation officially. It is rapidly ceasing to be that, which probably isn't a good thing.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          In the UK we turn churches into pubs, nightclubs and houses but I don't hear you getting triggered by this.
          I know someone who is brown who lives in a converted Church.

Actually that's a lie...

I know a few brown people who live in converted churches. They make nice homes.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I know someone who is brown who lives in a converted Church.

Actually that's a lie...

I know a few brown people who live in converted churches. They make nice homes.
            Yes, a brutal dictator legislating that a cathedral is now a mosque can be put in the same mental memory area as "I know some brown people that bought flats in an old church".

Honest. To. God.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I couldn't give a toss about the heritage.

The significance of this is Erdogan increasingly wooing the Islamists. Before Erdogan, Turkey was a secular nation officially. It is rapidly ceasing to be that, which probably isn't a good thing.
              Agree. This is the bigger worry.

Comment

Democracy and self determination in Muslim majority areas is only ever a fleeting experiment. They will always tend towards autocratic rule.

That being said. It is disappointing that the BBC cannot accurately present this event. It's in the "a bus exploded" category of reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Democracy and self determination in Muslim majority areas is only ever a fleeting experiment. They will always tend towards autocratic rule.

That being said. It is disappointing that the BBC cannot accurately present this event. It's in the "a bus exploded" category of reporting.
                  They were trying to trigger xenophobes ......
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Stonehenge...

Stonehenge: Neolithic monument found near sacred site - BBC News

...sacred site.

Christian Cathedral...

Hagia Sophia: Turkey turns iconic Istanbul museum into mosque - BBC News

...Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      It's been a museum since the 30's, maybe they should have described it as 'the iconic was once a Christian church, then a mosque, then a museum' in order to satisfy you and yours
                      It's been a museum since 1930 when they made a law saying it was not to be a place of worship.

Does anyone get away with saying Auschwitz is a museum?

Comment

Working...
                      X