• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turkey turns iconic Istanbul museum into mosque

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Istanbul was Constantinople.
    Constantinople is long word, can you spell it?

(Sorry couldn't resist a puerile joke from my youth)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Istanbul was Constantinople.
      Why they changed it, I can't say. Maybe they liked it better that way

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        And it is not 'their' mosque, they stuck a few minarets on the end.
        FFS

I went to Egypt a few years ago, where literally layers upon layers of history exist.

On a tour in Luxor/Karnak we were at a site where there was evidence of religious activity going back thousands of years. The site had been used by ancient Egyptians, something else pre-Christian, Christians, Muslims, back to Christians and was a mosque at the time of our visit.

The architects had dug down and discovered several buildings underneath the building currently in use - as the ground level rose over the years the people wanted to retain the religious significance of the site so simply added another building on top.

This is simply what happens. Your attitude about a perfectly valid change of use (regardless of what I think of Erdogan) is what's offensive about this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          FFS

I went to Egypt a few years ago, where literally layers upon layers of history exist.

On a tour in Luxor/Karnak we were at a site where there was evidence of religious activity going back thousands of years. The site had been used by ancient Egyptians, something else pre-Christian, Christians, Muslims, back to Christians and was a mosque at the time of our visit.

The architects had dug down and discovered several buildings underneath the building currently in use - as the ground level rose over the years the people wanted to retain the religious significance of the site so simply added another building on top.

This is simply what happens. Your attitude about a perfectly valid change of use (regardless of what I think of Erdogan) is what's offensive about this thread.
          Cordoba's mosque-cathedral also hs an interesting history, but don't let yourself get offended by an inadequate alcoholic. He probably can't help it.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Constantinople is long word, can you spell it?
            Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              FFS

The point was the BBC describing a cathedral as an "iconic Istanbul museum"

Comment

It's been a museum since the 30's, maybe they should have described it as 'the iconic was once a Christian church, then a mosque, then a museum' in order to satisfy you and yours
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Oh so you saying "they just stuck some minarets on it" was a direct quote of the BBC?

Comment

In the UK we turn churches into pubs, nightclubs and houses but I don't hear you getting triggered by this.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      In the UK we turn churches into pubs, nightclubs and houses but I don't hear you getting triggered by this.
                      Cos it's not foreigners...unless they were converted by foreigners, then he'd be in there like a shot

Comment

Working...
                      X