• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oi, fatties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seem to have been a lot more people cycling, running & walking in last few months so some are obviously being sensible but heard about a few, mainly old farts or with medical problems, who've just stayed indoors.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      If they were serious they’d put 1% income tax for each 1 unit over BMI 25 - fund NHS with that
      To the left of centre on the "where am I politically" dial goes, "social democrat", "left wing", "I've been reading Marx", "Czechoslovakia needed the tanks", "Pol Pot was actually a nice guy", then, somewhere past Pluto you get to "I'm an NHS Doctor"

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Seem to have been a lot more people cycling, running & walking in last few months so some are obviously being sensible but heard about a few, mainly old farts or with medical problems, who've just stayed indoors.
        Or were just social shut ins anyway.

Comment

YouTube

Diets are racist anyway.

[emoji849]

Comment

As I sit here dunking biscuits in my coffee, I can't help but think that this is edging towards a nanny state which I really don't want. People need to take responsibility for their actions and for the effect their lifestyle has.

The problem I have with things like a fat tax is that it is almost impossible to ring fence the funds for a particular purpose. The treasury gets used to the extra income and, should that day come when the weight of the nation is mostly under 25 BMI so the take is minimal, what tax will they seek to replace it with?

The other issue is that there are bigger issues around weight that aren't just about too many calories in and too few out. Poverty plays a huge part - the cheap food is often the worst nutritionally. Education also plays a factor. I remember Home Economics at school was terrible at showing how to make healthy food cheaply. I was told that my high fibre meal (jacket potato and beans with salad) wasn't a proper meal (it was a meal in my house). I am not sure if schools even have the budgets for full kitchens to teach good cooking and nutrition - the posh schools will have them, further marginalising the poor.

Comment

Healthier people will be cheaper to Nhs in a long run - that’s the savings, in the mean time tax fatsos till they slim down.

Also plan B for the Treasury will be changing acceptable BMI from 25 to 24, then 23...

And last but not least - extra tax on squirrel eaters
              Last edited by AtW; 11 July 2020, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Lot of new runners out these days.

I'm a big believer in councils doing more for runners. Shaping mile/half mile circuits, modifying a few junctions, putting better lighting in a few areas for after dark safety.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Healthier people will be cheaper to Nhs in a long run - that’s the savings, in the mean time tax fatsos till they slim down
                  Healthy people live to 90.

The SNP have been saying scots should get higher pensions as we die younger.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Healthy people live to 90.
                    Not in Covid world they won’t.

Next!

Comment

So basically fatso’s only really need a few years pension money - this is good news for my saving plans

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X