• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorry about all that alarmist climate change stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, the unrelenting tedium.

Comment

Generally, I think we need to take climate change seriously but there's never any issue on which both sides don't exaggerate.

Simplistic tick boxing is probably more of a problem, every measure need to be checked properly. Green taxes or restrictions that drive up our production costs may only drive production to developing countries that are understandably more concerned about their economies than reducing greenhouse emissions, and then you add in effects of transport. It's consumption that drives greenhouse gases, not production.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Very few people disagree that the planet is over-populated, but many whine that the reduction should be pushed to the impoverished, rather than accept where the overconsumption and waste actually comes from. Stop rich people procreating.

1. The highest consumption per capita is from the wealthy
        2. The highest waste per capita is from the wealthy

So, if you have more than zero children, choose the one that is most likely going to look after you in your old age, or most likely to kill you painlessly.
        Forget about the others, they are just a drain on resources.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The main legacy of environmentalism will be the disappearance of the world's forests.

World forests rapidly disappearing biofuels a major driver – People's World

Sad really and in the end there will be just as much CO2 up there as there would have been had they burned coal instead.

I very much suspect that we'll find out it was all unnecessary when there is a new environmental disaster due to the lack of forests.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I suspect paying a fixed price for "all you can muster" waste collection does drive one to be less careful as there's no penalty. However, I bet that if refuse collection was chargeable on a PAYG basis, rather than in with council tax, fly tipping would increase massively. ..
            My local tip (run by a company called Viridor) charges by weight for hardcore, and it soon mounts up, e.g. somewhere around £100 for one builder's bag.

So I have split my 12 bags of harcore into well over a hundred supermarket carrier bags, each fairly light, and I smuggle three bags out per bin each fortnight with the domestic rubbish.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Very few people disagree that the planet is over-populated, but many whine that the reduction should be pushed to the impoverished, rather than accept where the overconsumption and waste actually comes from. Stop rich people procreating.

1. The highest consumption per capita is from the wealthy
              2. The highest waste per capita is from the wealthy

So, if you have more than zero children, choose the one that is most likely going to look after you in your old age, or most likely to kill you painlessly.

Forget about the others, they are just a drain on resources.
              If you stopped the relatively small proportion of rich people procreating, a new lot of relatively small proportion of rich people would pop up in their place, and the poor would carry on breeding like rabbits. So I'm afraid your idealistic solution would fail miserably.

The best way to encourage population curbs on the worst offenders such as India and China, is to impose santions if they don't introduce policies such as 2 child max families and severe penalties on anyone exceeding those quotas.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                If you stopped the relatively small proportion of rich people procreating, a new lot of relatively small proportion of rich people would pop up in their place, and the poor would carry on breeding like rabbits. So I'm afraid your idealistic solution would fail miserably.

The best way to encourage population curbs on the worst offenders such as India and China, is to impose santions if they don't introduce policies such as 2 child max families and severe penalties on anyone exceeding those quotas.
                Chinese population growth is largely driven by increased longevity (I would guess).

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  Fossil fuel companies have monetised anti-climate change production to make profit, by efinition of their respective businesses.
                  This turns out to not be the case, according to the author. Nobody takes anti-climate change groups serious, and climate activists have far higher spending than any combination of anti-climate change groups. The evidence is that fossil fuel companies have supported certain groups of climate change activists and environmentalists in their quest to shut down nuclear power. (I wonder why they'd do that? )

Another interesting point he makes is that the climate change lobby is far more highly funded than the climate deniers (to the tune of $100Ms as opposed to $10Ms). As can be easily verified by checking out the annual reports of climate activists groups and climate denial groups.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  The main legacy of environmentalism will be the disappearance of the world's forests.
                  He claims that re-forestation of first world countries continues apace. "Globally, the rate of reforestation is catching up to the slowing rate of deforestation". The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations have stated that the global rate of deforestation has reduce by 50% (from 7.3 million to 3.3 million) as reforestation has accelerated.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Ah yes, the "keep the wealthy producing more inbreds"

The worst offenders of overconsumption are the wealthy. You refuse to accept that, because it would be something you can't pass the blame on to others - it would require you to take action that would impact you.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No no no. Only the rich may reproduce freely. It's survival of the fittest, and clearly, the rich are the fittest or they wouldn't have survived. I'm sure if you were rich you'd see my point of view.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X