• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grape Picking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grape Picking

I never did this back in the 80s but it was a right of passage for many back then.

Do people still do this? Obviously they do but do you still get people from the uk and elsewhere turning up in the various wine regions on spec in the hope of getting work?

I’m getting on a little but I’m pretty spry so I could handle it and I think it would be an experience. Better than being sat on my proverbial at home.

Something tells me, however, that it’s probably an E European closed shop these days. Could be wrong.

Innteresting

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Innteresting

Whateresting?

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
        I never did this back in the 80s but it was a right of passage for many back then.

Do people still do this? Obviously they do but do you still get people from the uk and elsewhere turning up in the various wine regions on spec in the hope of getting work?

I’m getting on a little but I’m pretty spry so I could handle it and I think it would be an experience. Better than being sat on my proverbial at home.

Something tells me, however, that it’s probably an E European closed shop these days. Could be wrong.
        There is no closed shop for picking grapes but if you want to be paid, you will need to work very hard. Unpaid holiday work is much easier.

I have my own vineyard in Bulgaria. The price of grapes in Europe have fallen and often grapes are left unpicked as it is uneconomical to pick them and send them to market. I won't be able to have mine picked on time this year, they will be dumped.

There are plenty of opportunities for grape picking but I would suggest to take a look on the Internet and find some unpaid picking jobs in exchange for food and accommodation and some free time. BTW, not all grapes are grown for wine.

France is a possibility, I would suggest go to Google Maps and look for "Wineries near Sancerre". There are lots of small family wineries who would be glad of help in exchange for a drunken holiday.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Sounds like the EU worker protection laws are really strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I have my own vineyard in Bulgaria.
            Wow. Do you have accommodation too or just the parcel?

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

France is a possibility, I would suggest go to Google Maps and look for "Wineries near Sancerre". There are lots of small family wineries who would be glad of help in exchange for a drunken holiday.
            Yes, I think traditionally folks would head south and follow the harvest north and then go and take a holiday with the proceeds. I just think it would be an interesting experience, if not a backbreaking one, from the point of view of an oenophile.

Comment

Yes, I think traditionally folks would head south and follow the harvest north and then go and take a holiday with the proceeds. I just think it would be an interesting experience, if not a backbreaking one, from the point of view of an oenophile.
              Just remember to wear appropriate clothing, given the world climate.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Not such a big wow, it cost the same as a secondhand car. I plan to let out the annex next year. The main vineyard is two hours away from the villa. The villa comprises of a small holding with an annex, a barn and some outbuildings, again not expensive to buy but it has tripled in value due to its location. (Location, location, location). Council tax for the vineyard is £30 per year and £40 per year for the Villa and small holding. There are no standing charges for water or electric therefor, there is virtually no running costs when I am not there.

Life is very healthy there especially as most veg (including corn on the cob) can be picked from the garden and fresh fish from the river.

If you are interested in purchasing similar, I can point you in the right direction. The opportunity for Brits to purchase may cease after December due to Brexit.

Here is a good website for working holidays
                Volunteer and work in Europe - low cost travel abroad - Workaway
                Last edited by Paddy; 13 July 2020, 11:02.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X