• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU criminals barred under new points-based system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Is that true though, my understanding on this is that EU rules state that a previous conviction was not grounds enough on its own for excluding or removing EU citizens.

They also had to pose an immediate threat.

Many deportations are slowed down by legal challenges on the grounds of human rights.

I really can't see what the issue is with this other than can the border force be effective in implementing it.
    Not true. Even though the UK was deluged with Polish people, the UK were chartering flights sending many back home upon arrival for the simple reason they had criminal records.

Even some Brits have been immediately sent back to the UK because of their criminal records. No reason or court action is necessary unless the person is from outside the EU and claiming asylum.

Brexit will not stop immigration, it will just mean you will have different emigrants who will never want to go back and it will be a one-way street. ie you won't be able to live in their country.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Not true. Even though the UK was deluged with Polish people, the UK were chartering flights sending many back home upon arrival for the simple reason they had criminal records.

Brexit will not stop immigration, it will just mean you will have different emigrants who will never want to go back and it will be a one-way street. ie you won't be able to live in their country.
      Each case can be challenged on a case by case bases. As I said the rules state that a conviction on its own cannot be used as a reason to deny entry. They have to pose an immediate threat. I imagine many of those sent back matched that criteria.

Many could not be sent back based on previous convictions. Some of those being sent back are appealing on human rights grounds.

I'm not arguing that people haven't been sent back. This just seems to be a tightening of the rules. How effectively it's enforced is a different matter.

Comment

Each case can be challenged on a case by case bases. As I said the rules state that a conviction on its own cannot be used as a reason to deny entry. They have to pose an immediate threat. I imagine many of those sent back matched that criteria.

Many could not be sent back based on previous convictions. Some of those being sent back are appealing on human rights grounds.

I'm not arguing that people haven't been sent back. This just seems to be a tightening of the rules. How effectively it's enforced is a different matter.
        Thousands of EU citizens deported from the UK

According to the research, the number of EU citizens removed from Britain for being Foreign National Offenders (FNOs) increased by 93 per cent (from 2,120 in 2013 to 4,093 in 2017), while removals of those from outside the EU decreased almost a third over the same period. The rise in EU FNO removals was the result of a policy change, introduced in 2009, which halved the prison sentence necessary for an offender to qualify for deportation from two years to 12 months. The rules have subsequently been hardened.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

" policy change, introduced in 2009, which halved the prison sentence necessary for an offender to qualify for deportation from two years to 12 months"

So same thing was happening before Brexit that they now promise as "new" to happen after Brexit.

Only difference is that without easy access to databases in EU how would they know who was in for a year or more?

That's right - just ask it on a landing card.

Comment

That does not apply to EU citizens. If you find an example, show me.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

So someone who paid their debt to society by doing time will not be allowed in, but those who avoided jail by various means will be welcomed with open arms?

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                So someone who paid their debt to society by doing time will not be allowed in, but those who avoided jail by various means will be welcomed with open arms?
                The Conservative Govt does not like criminals who get caught

HTH

Comment

I am sure the citizens of Eastern European countries will be very honest in disclosing their past. Especially if they know there is no collaboration between states.
                  It is just nonsense, propaganda to keep the gammons happy in their little world.
                  The most affected will be the british people that would suddenly loose rights to be able to work, health cover etc. in europe.
                  And for the long term citizens that have relocated here, they now have more hoops.
                  It is only aiding the corporations have more control over people.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    Its a punishment, not a debt to society. Having been burgled several times, even if the portraiture is caught and punished he will never pay back what is due to the victim.

I think you will find that most criminals are repeat offenders and when they are well known in their own county or country, they will go elsewhere to carry on their habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      That does not apply to EU citizens. If you find an example, show me.
                      It does apply but it's usual for EU citizens to use EU laws as they offer more protection. Point is they can appeal on a case basis.

Comment

Working...
                      X