• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New points based system - The end of contracting and IT as we know it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Such gloomsterism! The important thing to remember is that the UK has taken back control of its own borders.

We/they/somebody won ... get over it
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      Than I am completely happy with your answer.
      I could retire today, if I wanted to do it. Maybe I should, but I choose to keep working.

Tesco was an option after .COM crash 20 years ago (knew somebody who literally did it), but it's unlikely these days since there will be plenty of underpaid youth that Tesco would prefer as they won't even get full minimum wage.

It's all totally fooked up, but this points based immigration thingy is a symptom, not the root cause.

Comment

Wow.

How are the conservative and Brexit combo peeps going to swallow this ?

I wunted less mmigrants, sick of em undercuttin us and stealin our jobs etc.

All of the OP PLUS , this particular humdinger.

"In addition, we will continue our generous visitor provisions, but with simplified rules and guidance. We expect to treat EU citizens as non-visa nationals meaning they can come to the UK as visitors for six months without the need to obtain a visa. We will also unilaterally allow EU citizens to continue to use e-gates, but we will keep this policy"

Non-Visa means untracked doesn't it? So whats to stop people just doing as they do everywhere else with lapse rules like this, and hopping over to Ireland for a day then coming back, (or not bothering at all!)

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          Non-Visa means untracked doesn't it?
          It's tracked (on entry), but UNLIMITED and UNCHECKED (what they do here)

So instead of legit Polish plumbers who live here (and have to endure same high costs as everybody else) there will be visiting plumbers who can charge less

Brexit is a con from Cons.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            SO basically anyone earning more than £25K can get a visa
            I suppose it beggars the question, how does that compare to the current rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
              I suppose it beggars the question, how does that compare to the current rules?
              More lax since there is a limit on number of work visas now.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                “ We accept the MAC’s recommendation on salary thresholds, including to lower the general salary threshold from £30,000 to £25,600.

5. We will implement the MAC’s recommendation to bring the skills threshold down from RQF6 to RQF3. We will suspend the cap on the number of people who can come on the skilled worker route and remove the resident labour market test.“

The part I find astonishing is the removal of the "resident labour market test".

What used to happen there, was that a company had to prove they could not recruit a UK resident first, before bringing in a migrant. So that means UK workers, including the unemployed, will have to compete with workers world wide.

Then again, if you are advertising jobs at £25k, it is quite likely you would not be able to recruit someone locally for highly skilled jobs anyway. At £25k, you would be better off on benefits in most cases.

Comment

the article makes no mention of inter company transfers, where outsourcers can bring in Indian workers, without the worker paying tax, and they can offset the workers expenses against tax.

Since this is a significant route for workers competing with us, and I have been aware of it for 20 years or so, this new points based system does not really change much.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                    The part I find astonishing is the removal of the "resident labour market test".
                    That was always a BS.

Minimum wage required was better way to control it - how many people would have a problem if it was set at £50-60k level?

It's not like it's a lot of money given high cost of living here and high taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                      the article makes no mention of inter company transfers, where outsourcers can bring in Indian workers, without the worker paying tax, and they can offset the workers expenses against tax.

Since this is a significant route for workers competing with us, and I have been aware of it for 20 years or so, this new points based system does not really change much.
                      My outsourcered contacts are planning to quit and come over as contractors or emplyees, no need for them to work via an ICT anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X