• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any electric car drivers here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you are looking for reliability lexus hybrid is always top of the list

Comment

Don't think a Niro would meet the OP's business or personal needs and aspirations, tbh.

Jag I-Pace is well regarded as about the best of the EVs. If you need a hybrid (not sure the OP does), then the Lexus ones are probably the best other option. Otherwise you're back to Mitsubishi tanks or assorted overblown Toyotas (and yes, I know a Lexus is really a Toyota...).
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm not totally taken by pure electric at the moment. It would be perfect for my other half that does pretty set shortish journeys locally so knows where charging stations are etc but for me contracting all over the place I don't like the idea of having to find charging stations so I'd opt for a hybrid to remove the stress. If you want a local run about then fair enough but have you considered hybrids?

The Lexus UX and Honda CHR are taller cars so getting in and out will be much easier. My brother in law has a Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid and after borrowing it I am mightily impressed with it. Big car again for eash of getting in an out and was great to drive.

Are you sure you want to go electric only?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          I don't think Lexus do a plugin hybrid.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            Background.
            I can get gazillions off JLR cars.
            I need a new car from the end of the year.

I can get a free car on motability or pay out the same of cash on a good JLR product.
            Either way its a free car pretty much.
            I had a look a Volvo XC40 last week - good car - weirdest test drive ever!

I can get the mods I need for pedals (accelerator/brake) with motability and JLR

I had a little look at the Jaguar i-pace earlier
            It looks like a good piece of kit.

So how do electric car drivers find them as opposed to traditional cars?
            Is it worth the switch?
            Do you get plenty of warning when running low on charge?
            Whats the availability of public charging points like in the midlands/the north?

The I-pace is currently the only EV I am considering at the moment bearing in mind the discounts I can get.
            Any alternative EV would probably need to be available on Motability as I need mods to the pedals. These are generally mega expensive outside the scheme.
            I have an i-pace. Impressive car. So fast and quiet.
            No congestion charge and nearly free parking in London (pay for the first 10 minutes)
            No BIK if you put through your company.
            Charging is easy on your driveway if you just need to charge at home

Downsides:
            If you do lots of long journeys not worth it as you have to plan and spend ages recharging at service stations
            I dont want to rely on availability at service stations and this is the big drawback
            I have had software issues as with so many new cars - its all about the electronics

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              1. Cars on Mobility are not free, they are leased.

2. You will be limited to what is on the Mobility list, you will have to pay for extras outside of scope. I don't think Jag is on the list.
              Car Search | Motability Scheme

3.All electric cars are only useful in the city, if you are driving inter-city then go for a combined plugin and hybrid.
              B y far the best one I have test driven in the Kia Niro, it also has great millage on plugin. DS (Citroen) make the best version but it is sold in mainland Europe only.

4.If you buy electric, the city council must supply a nearby charging station (according to the dealer)

Jaguar i-pace is a lump of **** but if you are looking for a willy extension rather than a reliable car... then that is up to you.
              1. Its free money from govt. Its a free car.
              2. I know thanks for that see my OP
              3. Thanks for the Kia Suggestion.
              4. Nice to know
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                That is going to be outside scope
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                  I have an i-pace. Impressive car. So fast and quiet.
                  No congestion charge and nearly free parking in London (pay for the first 10 minutes)
                  No BIK if you put through your company.
                  Charging is easy on your driveway if you just need to charge at home

Downsides:
                  If you do lots of long journeys not worth it as you have to plan and spend ages recharging at service stations
                  I dont want to rely on availability at service stations and this is the big drawback
                  I have had software issues as with so many new cars - its all about the electronics
                  This is brilliant. Thank you.
                  I am currently doing quite a few trips to the North West from Warwickshire.
                  Ireland trips will resume shortly.
                  Might be best to revert to my original plan of an E-Pace
                  I agree about the software issues - I have had the same problem - they must have got a dodgy contractor or 2 in!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                    This is brilliant. Thank you.
                    I am currently doing quite a few trips to the North West from Warwickshire.
                    Ireland trips will resume shortly.
                    Might be best to revert to my original plan of an E-Pace
                    I agree about the software issues - I have had the same problem - they must have got a dodgy contractor or 2 in!
                    Jaguar aren't known for their great engineering skills. Some parts are flung together in Slovakia and manufactured in India. It may just have electronic bugs in the first year or two, but I personally wouldn't be spending lots of money on a large electric Jaguar. Compare their past non-electric vehicles to Lexus, Toyota, Mercedes and they fare poorly. Cheap build materials, lots of niggles, premium price.

It seems easier to look at the longevity of existing vehicles and buy a second hand reliable electric car. The older Teslas seem to be bullet-proof. It seems a 4x4 is your preference, for physical access reasons, in which case a Compromise could be a Mitsubishi premium model.

Hybrids are a bit of a con. They're being gradually stripped of any subsidies as they were invented just to fudge manufacturers meeting EU targets. Service ECU stats show that owners very rarely plug in their hybrid to charge the battery fully. The petrol engine can't fully charge the battery.

As you have a niche profile, try waiting for one or two years until the full range from manufacturers appears or, if you must, save money and stick to the known reliable electric vehicles that haven't yet fallen apart.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                      Jaguar aren't known for their great engineering skills. Some parts are flung together in Slovakia and manufactured in India. It may just have electronic bugs in the first year or two, but I personally wouldn't be spending lots of money on a large electric Jaguar.

It seems easier to look at the longevity of existing vehicles and buy a second hand reliable electric car. The older Teslas seem to be bullet-proof. It seems a 4x4 is your preference, for physical access reasons, in which case a Compromise could be a Mitsubishi premium model.

Hybrids are a bit of a con. They're being gradually stripped of any subsidies as they were invented just to fudge manufacturers meeting EU targets. Service ECU stats show that owners very rarely plug in their hybrid to charge the battery fully. The petrol engine can't fully charge the battery.

As you have a niche profile, try waiting for one or two years until the full range from manufacturers appears or, if you must, save money and stick to the known reliable electric vehicles that haven't yet fallen apart.
                      It will have to be a 4x4
                      Thankfully I am not spending "my money" on this. The motability grant is free government cash. Its just a question of how I use it. The bonus with the motability list is that I get free servicing and insurance as well as the free mods for the pedals. With the Jags and Land Rovers my supply source means they so cheap as to off set that.
                      If its not the I-pace which is very cheap then the E-pace gives me an almost free car car situation as does a discovery sport.
                      After that it is a case of anything I like on the motability list.
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X