• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any electric car drivers here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife has a tesla. Seems happy.

My complaint is that it is like a stealth bomber. Last car shook the windows when she was parking. Now you can be sitting on the sofa with a copy of penthouse and a bottle of bud and she walks in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Wife has a tesla. Seems happy.

My complaint is that it is like a stealth bomber. Last car shook the windows when she was parking. Now you can be sitting on the sofa with a copy of penthouse and a bottle of bud and she walks in the room.
      Your problem on two or three counts
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Definitely worth it. If you can afford it, go Tesla, they are amazing.

Range is a thing, and not a thing - it's very weird to explain.

It depends on where you live, but download an app like Zap-Map and see how many rapid chargers are around your commute.

With a rapid charger nearby you need never feel anxiety , but without a selection of them, its "planning journeys" or relying on the bloody thing working when you get there.

Rapid charge on my e-golf (2016) takes 30 mins and gives me 80 miles (it says 100 but its LIES!). So its a meal at a service station. I've honestly yet to get to a station and there not be an available charger, but that may be luck / timing of my journeys.

I have both a PHEV (Golf GTE) for long road trips and an e-Golf for up to 200 mile journeys.

I wouldn't go back to Internal Combustion now.

I've filled the Golf GTE up with fuel, on average , four times a year . So there are times that the 100 mile range , even with chargers, isn't viable. I've never been close to running out though, and its not the end of the world, the AA will come and mobile charge you, for free, the first time.

Also, the mileage allowance is the same, despite it costing a fraction of running on fuel.

Cons, because there are some are:
        Services are EXPENSIVE
        Cars are overpriced against their ICE alternatives
        Fuel efficiency changes markedly in the winter.
        You will start to rage at people in ICE cars who park in E spots.
        The quietness means you need to adapt your driving, people DO NOT hear you, animals especially, so be really careful on corners or around areas with lots of pets.
        Last edited by Scoobos; 15 July 2020, 11:06.

Comment

The near-silence of electric cars is what worries me. So many times I've missed an electric or hybrid pulling away and been spooked, rather than run over, fortunately. They should be fitted with something that acts as an audible cue. I have no idea how a visually impaired person, who may rely more on their hearing, manages.

Comment

Yep, I think its got better over the last year or so, but one particular event always makes me smile (and it shouldn't).

I have a large hill on my way to the allotment , really steep, with a bend at the bottom.

I was going down there at 20 (speed limit) and an old lady turned and saw me coming down just at the bend, and because it was silent must have assumed it was a runaway car - because she literally lept into a bush .

For weeks there was an old lady shaped "bush push" mark .

People tend not to believe how you have to adjust your driving, but you are ok with the "youngsters" because they all have headphones in and faces glued to screens anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The near-silence of electric cars is what worries me. So many times I've missed an electric or hybrid pulling away and been spooked, rather than run over, fortunately. They should be fitted with something that acts as an audible cue. I have no idea how a visually impaired person, who may rely more on their hearing, manages.
              There was a discussion on that last year. Various suitable sounds were proposed(and rejected, usually for good reason) but the one that I thought would work was a recoding of the clip-clop of a pair of heavy horses...

But yes, something is needed, I stepped out in front of a Toyota Pious last week - oddly enough, in a petrol station.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

most electric cars make a beeping noise when reversing.

of course not much use when you are in front. I have nearly knocked over multiple people in car parks.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                  most electric cars make a beeping noise when reversing.

of course not much use when you are in front. I have nearly knocked over multiple people in car parks.
                  Try Specsavers.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    There was a discussion on that last year. Various suitable sounds were proposed(and rejected, usually for good reason) but the one that I thought would work was a recoding of the clip-clop of a pair of heavy horses...

But yes, something is needed, I stepped out in front of a Toyota Pious last week - oddly enough, in a petrol station.
                    Ice cream van jingle.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Ice cream van jingle.
                      Which one?
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X