• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three Gorges dam in China bursts - 400 million people drowned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Gorges dam in China bursts - 400 million people drowned

<placeholder>

Apparently it was made with substandard concrete, on the assumption there would be only average rainfall for the 30 years the concrete would take to set.

But the recent record rainfalls, with more rain expected, have placed unanticipated pressure on the dam and it is now bulging!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Fake news

Three Gorges Dam ‘not at risk of collapse,’ safe for heavy rainfall: experts - Global Times

Chinese experts have dismissed rumors hyped by some Western media that the Three Gorges Dam, the world's biggest hydropower project, is at risk of collapse, noting the dam is intact and has spare capacity to hold the current inflows of water after southern parts of China experienced heavy rainfall and the Three Gorges reservoir's water level exceeded the flood control line.

Comment

They're hardly likely to say "Yeah, you're right, someone screwed up somewhere", and face 20 years of reeducation.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

the 30 years the concrete would take to set.
        Did they use the same builder as my next door neighbour used when he had the extension done?

Comment

I’d be more worried about nuclear plant they are going to build in the UK - just how the feck that contract was awarded to China

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I’d be more worried about nuclear plant they are going to build in the UK - just how the feck that contract was awarded to China
            It would require the kind of dealing that would give a contract for transport to a company that doesn't own any transport and has never worked with it before, or gives a contract for PPE to a company that makes sweets.

Or just Chris Grayling.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Stocking up on iodine tablets as I type.

How are the mighty fallen.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Book that lays bare how deeply the Chinese have infiltrated Britain | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Chairman Xi is planning a monster game of Pooh sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Chairman Xi is planning a monster game of Pooh sticks.
                    It'd be a pretty hairy white water rafting day out

Comment

Working...
                    X