• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of cambelt change?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    This is true. I religiously stick to the annual servicing schedule on my 16 year old jalopy. I only did 1064 miles between MOTs in the past year.
    May I buy it off you?

Here I have an honest motor, good runner, one lady owner, never smoked in - first to see will buy!

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      May I buy it off you?

Here I have an honest motor, good runner, one lady owner, never smoked in - first to see will buy!
      The previous owner was male, so that's technically correct

Comment

Got 3 quotes

Prices include parts, labour & VAT.
        All using genuine Audi parts

Audi dealer - £745

Independent Audi/BMW/Merc - £525

Local garage - £350
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Audi dealer - £745

Local garage - £350
          So something you will have done what, every five years, so a cost of about £100 a year, and you have devoted half your life to this subject?

You probably spend more on crisps or light bulbs in a year....

Comment

Audi dealer - £745

Local garage - £350
            I can get it done for £999.99

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I can get it done for £999.99
              £1000 would be too much!

Comment

Apparently, later models of the TT have a timing chain rather than a belt. I think most cars many years ago used to have chains.

It's always seemed a bit daft to me using a piece of rubber for something as crucial as the camshaft on an interference engine. I wonder whose bright idea that was.
                Every BMW I had over the last 20 years had a timing chain. Doesn’t mean the chain won’t degrade though. I stretched a timing chain on my last BMW. Fortunately under warranty, was a £2500 fix, free to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  So something you will have done what, every five years, so a cost of about £100 a year, and you have devoted half your life to this subject?

You probably spend more on crisps or light bulbs in a year....
                  Retired early. Time rich. Money not so much.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Checked the service book for the car last night. It's only done 469 miles since 25 Apr 2019.

With insurance, road tax, servicing, MOT, cost per mile must be astronomical.

Comment

Retired early. Time rich. Money not so much.
                      Checked the service book for the car last night. It's only done 469 miles since 25 Apr 2019.

With insurance, road tax, servicing, MOT, cost per mile must be astronomical.
                      In which case an Audi TT is not a good choice. I would recommend a car that is cheap to insure, cheap to tax, reliable and easy to maintain.

25 most unreliable cars | What Car?
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X