• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The most disadvantaged Group?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    If you are white and poor who are you going to vote for? Perhaps if someone represented their view they would vote.
    What will happen with compulsory voting is that a whole class of voter supression strategies will go away, and groups that were ignored due to low turn out will have much more power - ultimately that will result in well overdue reform of Mor Onic First Past The Post system that results in never ending 2 Party system - all it takes is fooking vote.

Comment

If you are white and poor who are you going to vote for? Perhaps if someone represented their view they would vote.
      I bet no party represents your complete point of view so you tend to vote for the party that has the most policies you agree with.

That's what those who don't vote need to do.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Can you imagine a government form where you have to enter your skin colour to get the assistance. Would they have signs on the class rooms, "whites only" ?
        I think that was tried in a few countries.

Didn't work regardless of which demographic made up the majority of the population....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          What will happen with compulsory voting is that a whole class of voter supression strategies will go away, and groups that were ignored due to low turn out will have much more power - ultimately that will result in well overdue reform of Mor Onic First Past The Post system that results in never ending 2 Party system - all it takes is fooking vote.
          Do you have an example of a country that has forced people to vote and that has resulted in the poorest people being raised out of poverty? Not trying to catch you out just interested.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I bet no party represents your complete point of view so you tend to vote for the party that has the most policies you agree with.

That's what those who don't vote need to do.
            Yes, I think to some extent that's true. What if you believe all parties have deserted you though.

Comment

Do you have an example of a country that has forced people to vote and that has resulted in the poorest people being raised out of poverty? Not trying to catch you out just interested.
              There will always be poorest people for wide variety of unfixable reasons, getting more people to participate in democracy will get more chances which it is all about - can't make people to take chances if they don't want to, but if you create more chances then more of them will do so.

This country certainly need much bigger Armed Forces - 3-5 times larger, good place for young lads to learn some discipline and see the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Can you imagine a government form where you have to enter your skin colour to get the assistance. Would they have signs on the class rooms, "whites only" ?
                I think it's more about targeting areas of low employment and poverty. As I said similar to how they tackled some of the issues after the riots in London.

Perhaps more investment in schools and supporting dysfunctional families.

Comment

There will always be poorest people for wide variety of unfixable reasons, getting more people to participate in democracy will get more chances which it is all about - can't make people to take chances if they don't want to, but if you create more chances then more of them will do so.

This country certainly need much bigger Armed Forces - 3-5 times larger, good place for young lads to learn some discipline and see the world.
                  As someone from a white, poor background in Liverpool after finishing school I was advised to join the army. Even though I had no interest and would have made a very poor soldier. I don't believe forcing young men to join the army is the answer. I have friends from the army, not knocking it. But forcing men to potentially put themselves into dangerous combat situations and risk their lives because their life options are limited by poverty is sad.

Comment

But forcing men to potentially put themselves into dangerous combat situations and risk their lives because their life options are limited by poverty is sad.
                    Very safe to be in the British Army, if I was 20 years younger I'd join in SAS meself

Comment

Very safe to be in the British Army, if I was 20 years younger I'd join in SAS meself
                      hah, well the SAS do seem to be made up of very short angry people, so you may have chance

Comment

Working...
                      X