• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting addition to the conversation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    No one who traded in humans as slaves, irrespective of their skin colour, should be looked on positively and they should not be revered in today's society.
    Not revered perhaps, but what about those who recognised the error of their ways, repented, and used their accumulated wealth to right their wrongs and benefit the community rather than themselves? Surely recognising the error of their ways and making amends is a positive thing?

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
      Not revered perhaps, but what about those who recognised the error of their ways, repented, and used their accumulated wealth to right their wrongs and benefit the community rather than themselves? Surely recognising the error of their ways and making amends is a positive thing?
      Towards the end of their lives they became 'philanthropists', mainly to appease their god and pay their way into heaven. I don't think they really saw the error of their ways, and the victims of the slavery certainly didn't benefit in any way. They were still slaves in the West Indies ... now, had they used their wealth to buy out the slaves and set them up as freemen in the UK I would buy your argument mate, but no, they still did not care about the slaves, they only cared for their own 'immortal' souls.

Yes, the likes of Coulston (sic) paid for a lot in Bristol but the only beneficiaries were white - none of the black lives that suffered under slavery benefited by his actions directly.

Nice try though
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Wrong. But then, given your attitude I'm guessing your 'sources' are right wing and not very accurate
        Consequences of the slave trade - The triangular slave trade - KS3 History Revision - BBC Bitesize

Others suggest an even higher figure

British Involvement in the Transatlantic Slave Trade: The Abolition of Slavery Project

From government archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...-the-trade.pdf
        The assertion was that "The British, for example, moved millions of people out of Africa and into Jamaica to fuel their obsession for sugar" not the total number of slaves shipped by the British to anywhere ever

I meerly pointed out that this was factually incorrect which appears to have triggered your left wing guilt for past injustices complex

I prefer to use local resources such as National Library of Jamaica rather than the BBC who are not known for their impartiality anymore

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Colour Sergeant Bourne View Post
          The assertion was that "The British, for example, moved millions of people out of Africa and into Jamaica to fuel their obsession for sugar" not the total number of slaves shipped by the British to anywhere ever

I meerly pointed out that this was factually incorrect which appears to have triggered your left wing guilt for past injustices complex

I prefer to use local resources such as National Library of Jamaica rather than the BBC who are not known for their impartiality anymore

HTH
          I did mis-interpret what I watched, sorry. Millions in total from Africa to the Caribbean and Americas, not millions to Jamaica.

My5

It's a very interesting series

Comment

Originally posted by Colour Sergeant Bourne View Post

HTH
            I used 3 different sources thanks And you're still wrong

I have no guilt for past injustices, but equally I'm not jingoistic about Britain's 'glory' days of Empire.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Towards the end of their lives they became 'philanthropists', mainly to appease their god and pay their way into heaven. I don't think they really saw the error of their ways, and the victims of the slavery certainly didn't benefit in any way. They were still slaves in the West Indies ... now, had they used their wealth to buy out the slaves and set them up as freemen in the UK I would buy your argument mate, but no, they still did not care about the slaves, they only cared for their own 'immortal' souls.

Yes, the likes of Coulston (sic) paid for a lot in Bristol but the only beneficiaries were white - none of the black lives that suffered under slavery benefited by his actions directly.

Nice try though

You know slavery was legal then?

My understanding is that he did not feel he had committed any sin by being a slaver, he just sold some of his shares to William of Orange, had no heirs so decided to create a legacy via good works so he was remembered. Slaves were not considered equals or fellow human beings by almost all who traded in them, be they Westerners, easterners, Arabs or Africans.

By today's standards it is vile and totally unacceptable but then everyone was doing it to each other.

I look forward to statues of Marlboro & Esso executives being pulled down in 100 years.

My parents drove me round in cars without seat belts when I was a kid. Should they pay for this sin? Should car manufacturers who charged extra for seatbelts be broken up as it is now obvious making a car without a seatbelt was bordering on criminal negligence?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I did mis-interpret what I watched, sorry. Millions in total from Africa to the Caribbean and Americas, not millions to Jamaica.

My5

It's a very interesting series

Yes enjoyed India episode should watch the rest of those.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

trying to make "white" people the sole scapegoats for this vile trade is clearly ridiculous and shows a complete ignorance of history. It does nothing to foster a more peaceful society

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    It does nothing to foster a more peaceful society
                    Your posts with large font size certainly not helping

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Your posts with large font size certainly not helping
                      That's a very Bold comment.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X