• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raising a theybie: the parent who wants their child to grow up gender-free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worlds gone ******* mad.....

I guess we need to start banning the 'I'm a little teapot song' from primary schools in case someone gets confused and starts self identifying as a teapot. Christ knows what box to tick for gender on forms...
    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 July 2020, 13:20.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
      I very much doubt that the parents are forcing any issue. They've probably discussed it with friends and planned how they want to cater better for allowing that freedom to manifest. It seems your interpretation of that was to suggest they're forcing their child to consider change sex or gender or something, which would surely be a wrong interpretation.

Parents like to think that they are open, yet in blind studies parents perpetuate stereotypes and provide a baby dressed in pink with dolls, pushing away the sports kit, with the baby dressed in blue enticed into playing with the sports kit and the doll removed and hidden away.

The sooner we stop perpetuating the prejudice our parents taught us the sooner we can say that children have formed their own identity, rather than being brainwashed.
      Another argument could be that boys and girls like different things and the parents are catering to the childs likes and dislikes.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Another argument could be that boys and girls like different things and the parents are catering to the childs likes and dislikes.
        That's an idea from the 1920s. People like different things. The studies I've mentioned are regularly updated and tested every few years. The parents push the children to play with particular toys and remove the toys if they don't conform to what the parents see as the children's identity.

One study stream that is regularly repeated dresses baby boys in pink and baby girls in blue as part of the test cohort, with the control group being baby boys in blue and baby girls in pink. The colour the baby is dressed in seems to dictate what the parents (not the biological parents, but rather parents who participate in the study are assigned a random baby to help with playtime) provide to the child. It's very bizarre but reinforces the concept of parental prejudice, rather than the the gender of the child innately choosing toys once thought to be desired by the child.

Comment

That's an idea from the 1920s. People like different things. The studies I've mentioned are regularly updated and tested every few years. The parents push the children to play with particular toys and remove the toys if they don't conform to what the parents see as the children's identity.

One study stream that is regularly repeated dresses baby boys in pink and baby girls in blue as part of the test cohort, with the control group being baby boys in blue and baby girls in pink. The colour the baby is dressed in seems to dictate what the parents (not the biological parents, but rather parents who participate in the study are assigned a random baby to help with playtime) provide to the child. It's very bizarre but reinforces the concept of parental prejudice, rather than the the gender of the child innately choosing toys once thought to be desired by the child.
          Well without looking at the conclusion of the study or it's origin I will take your word that this happens. That still does not mean that men and women are not different and prefer different things.

Comment

Seems the study in this article suggests it's both societal and biological: Study finds robust sex differences in children's toy preferences across a range of ages and countries

Comment

It's a lot more subtle than that. The moment baby appears (or even before with scans), the language subtly changes depending on gender, and gender stereotypes are imposed before the child has any awareness. It would be really fantastic if gender differences happened naturally without being imposed/expected from day 0, but that seems nigh on impossible. If these parents are simply allowing that to happen then best of luck to them.

The new born baby girl flexing her fingers "she's going to be a ballerina", the boy waving his legs "oh look he's going to be a footballer" etc etc - there is no getting away from it, and we all do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                It's a lot more subtle than that. The moment baby appears (or even before with scans), the language subtly changes depending on gender, and gender stereotypes are imposed before the child has any awareness. It would be really fantastic if gender differences happened naturally without being imposed/expected from day 0, but that seems nigh on impossible. If these parents are simply allowing that to happen then best of luck to them.

The new born baby girl flexing her fingers "she's going to be a ballerina", the boy waving his legs "oh look he's going to be a footballer" etc etc - there is no getting away from it, and we all do it.
                The newborn boy waving his fist and crying: "oh look, he's going to be an angry gammon on Question Time, shouting about gender identity".

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I'm all for autonomy for children allowing to traverse gender as they see fit - but are you suggesting parents imprinting gender on children isn't natural?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    I'm all for autonomy for children allowing to traverse gender as they see fit - but are you suggesting parents imprinting gender on children isn't natural?
                    What's that got to do with anything? Infanticide - natural or not natural?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      What's that got to do with anything? Infanticide - natural or not natural?
                      The post I replied to used the word naturally, and I'm asking for clarification if any level of parental gender imprinting is natural, I'm also interested if any level of gender imprinting from parents is moral - because that has interesting ramifications.

Some of the posts imply being raised by robots would be beneficial for children; complete absence of corruption by parental prejudices.

Comment

Working...
                      X