• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK housing mini-boom is gathering pace, property firm Rightmove says

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Did not happen in 2008/09, won't happen now - lots of ways to fix it for banks: give them negative rates loans that pay THEM - as long as they defer mortgage payments for those affected, but they get extra margin on ALL mortgages, boom times for banking!
    If this chart is correct, unemployment is already nearly twice what it peaked at back then (~1.6m).

Click on 25Y
    United Kingdom Unemployed Persons | 1971-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Historical
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

It might be, but those people can't be evicted, they can defer payments on cars/mortgages etc

This time it's truly different.

Comment

Housing market will definitely be propped up to the sky.
        Depends whether rents will stay the same. If rents stay the same, what would people do? Universal credit?
        Are we re-creating feudalism with a mass of inert people living out of rent extraction mechanism?

I have a group of friends, yuppies like me, they are somehow comfortable with where they are.
        Tired of the pressures with rent increases, moving around and sub-par accommodation. (well, we've all experienced it)
        They are all looking for houses now, half of them recently bought.
        I told them they are mad but actually it might have some truth to it...
        Last edited by GigiBronz; 20 July 2020, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          If this chart is correct, unemployment is already nearly twice what it peaked at back then (~1.6m).

Click on 25Y
          United Kingdom Unemployed Persons | 1971-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Historical
          It takes a LOT to be classed as unemployed now, so the stats now are arguably worse.

If I'm unemployed but have over £16k in savings (or specific types of assets) then I'm not counted as unemployed. Until that's burned through, I'm not classed as looking for work and so am not counted as unemployed. Mad.

Please keep this in mind when comparing stats from 2008, which - up to 2011 - were much more representative of true unemployment. The Tories changed the way in which the stats are represented. They are the types of managers in companies, who I'm sure we've all met, who fudge figures and use accounting tricks to try show improved performance, rather than the preferred realists who try to provide clarity and the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            I can't see there not being a big rise in repossessions either.
            There will be some repossessions, but the banks have already signaled a willingness to avoid those as far as possible. Repossessions aren't necessary to reduce prices.

The real impact will be the accessibility of cheap credit. No bank is going to continue lending to low deposit FTBs when unemployment rises appreciably and the gov't won't step into that space sufficiently to offset it. We've already seen this in recent months. Some are coming back to the market now, but they'll be withdrawn as the unemployment picture becomes clearer. Unless the market is underpinned by FTBs, it will deteriorate sharply. So this stamp duty trick will unwind as quickly as it wound up.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Did you ever consider moving out of the smog-filled streets to leafy Surrey?
              Happen to know of somewhere, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Happen to know of somewhere, do you?

Maybe...
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                X