• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 x Perm jobs at once

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 x Perm jobs at once

Hi guys,

I'm already in perm employment but been fearing the chop for a while. An opportunity has arrived to work for another company part time (4 hours per day, evening shifts, all remote). In years gone by, I would be a contractor being paid through my Ltd but the company insists it will have to be a Permanent/PAYE position. The new employer is happy with my first job. As for the first one, there's nothing in the contract that prohibits it so I'm not going to ask them

Anybody done/or currently doing the same thing? What are the gotchas and can my first employer view my second job/tax code by way of the HMRC portal? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

If there is nothing in the contract then no problem.

Second job tax and pay - Money Advice Service

Even if there were to be a clause it probably couldn't be enforced if there is clearly no conflict of interest, i.e. working for a competitor.

Go ahead, they can't find out and if they did, so what.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NadJ View Post
      can my first employer view my second job/tax code by way of the HMRC portal?
      Your employer(s) need to be aware of your tax code, and if you have two income screens then you'll probably need to fill in a self assessment, as employer 1 will be doing PAYE based on the salary you have with them, not the combined salary.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Taking on two jobs - The Mix.
          Your employers will see you have another job, but you don’t have to tell them where you’re working or how much you’re earning. You’ll have two tax codes – one for each job

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            Your employers will see you have another job, but you don’t have to tell them where you’re working or how much you’re earning. You’ll have two tax codes – one for each job
            Historically, why is it this way?

The master/slave relationship really is alive in the perm world.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              What exactly does "see" mean here? Does someone in HR get a notification? Does a system flag it? I mean if the whole PAYE process is automatic these days, it shouldn't really stick out right?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NadJ View Post
                What exactly does "see" mean here? Does someone in HR get a notification? Does a system flag it? I mean if the whole PAYE process is automatic these days, it shouldn't really stick out right?

Thanks
                What aren’t you telling us?

Your employer will see you have another job because your tax code for the second job most likely will be BR, D0 or D1.
                If you don’t fill out a P46 and get the numbers right, then you may end up owing tax, which will mean your main tax code will change - and you’ll need to advise your employer of the change.
                You’ll need to check your payslips from both to make sure you are paying the correct tax, particularly when tax codes change.
                Things get even more fun if the second job pushes your earnings into a higher tax bracket.

And by “fun” I mean you need to be vigilant checking that you’re not underpaying.

Remember tax is your responsibility, not your employer’s, even when on PAYE.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  What aren’t you telling us?

Your employer will see you have another job because your tax code for the second job most likely will be BR, D0 or D1.
                  If you don’t fill out a P46 and get the numbers right, then you may end up owing tax, which will mean your main tax code will change - and you’ll need to advise your employer of the change.
                  You’ll need to check your payslips from both to make sure you are paying the correct tax, particularly when tax codes change.
                  Things get even more fun if the second job pushes your earnings into a higher tax bracket.

And by “fun” I mean you need to be vigilant checking that you’re not underpaying.

Remember tax is your responsibility, not your employer’s, even when on PAYE.
                  it doesn't matter whether he is overpaying or underpaying tax because at the end of the year when he files tax return it will all be settled. I think the issue for him is whether his first employer will find out about his second employment or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X