• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn good idea Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn good idea Australia

You want to read gender studies? From next year the government’s contribution towards your fees will fall from Aus$ 11,015 to Aus$1100 (£6050 to £605). If you want to study maths, on the other hand, the government’s contribution will rise from Aus$11,015 to Aus$13,500 (£6850 to £7420). Generally, student contributions for STEM subjects, teaching and nursing will fall, while contributions for humanities course will rise.
    Australia's war on woke university degrees is an inspiration

Something we should done years ago.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Maybe we can make Degree application partially conditional on jobs. Any on the shortage list can be free or similar.

Imagine IT people being paid in the UK and paying taxes in the UK.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Last time I checked, tuition fees for STEM degrees in the UK are considerably more expensive than humanities degrees. Weird.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

weren't the loans designed to subdue the population and keep them in work?
        apart from a few select universities the quality of the degrees is not that great either so I would tackle that part as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          No, that’s what mortgage was intended for

HTH

Comment

Meanwhile, in America, California State University students must take an ethnic studies or social justice class to graduate - CNN

Students who enroll at California State University (CSU) in the coming years will be required to take course in ethnic studies or social justice to graduate.

The amendment requires undergraduates to complete a three-credit, lower division course on ethnic studies or social justice. Students can satisfy the requirement by taking a course on one of the four racial groups that comprise ethnic studies, or by taking a course on other groups who have been oppressed, such as Jews, Muslims and LGBTQ people.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Last time I checked, tuition fees for STEM degrees in the UK are considerably more expensive than humanities degrees. Weird.
              It's due to lab costs and STEM students having to be on site more, rather than sitting in a coffee shop watching their future employers serving machofloppachoccychinos.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                apart from a few select universities the quality of the degrees is not that great either so I would tackle that part as well.
                They were sold as making degrees affordable to everyone. The reality is that it simply means that the haves come out of uni without debt and the have nots come out with 54k of debt with the same chance of a job in a market saturated with graduates. If you've got on to a course with two Cs at A-Level and picked an arty-farty nothing degree subject, unless you're top of the first class, you're facing an uphill battle against a lot of grads with firsts in relevant degrees.
                Last edited by LondonManc; 27 July 2020, 20:03.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do they do courses on Muslims oppressing LGBTQ people to see how the oppressed oppress the oppressed?

Comment

Ah, but the oppressed oppressing the oppressed aren't oppressed where they're doing the oppressing of the oppressed.

Or something.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X