• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social care tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Don't they take all your assets (and recent disposals) in exchange for this local authority "care"?

One would have thought NICs would take care of care, nevermind all that income tax, inheritance tax, stamp duty etc
    Tory cuts to the central government grant to local authorities is what took care of social care.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Tory cuts to the central government grant to local authorities is what took care of social care.
      OK, ill bite.

Pick a local authority.

Comment

It'll pay for care needs today, not tomorrow's. Same as NIC (used to) pay for pension needs today and not the future.

I absolutely detest all this tinkering around the edges of the tax laws. Chuck the whole effing lot out and start anew. There will be winners and loser, yes, but if it's clear and simple to understand how much tax you're paying, when and why then that's got to be a better way?

Comment

Deleted

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Don't they take all your assets (and recent disposals) in exchange for this local authority "care"?

One would have thought NICs would take care of care, nevermind all that income tax, inheritance tax, stamp duty etc
            They do indeed look at all assets over £22k, including your home (unless you joint own with a husband/wife).

So, if you've never saved and had a low paying job and hence paid little tax over the years you have full support. If you have saved for your future and paid high rate tax for decades but become ill through no fault of your own then you get nothing. Hardly seems equitable, and is hardly conducive to encouraging people to save for a rainy day.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Generally the NHS is right here. Social care is the responsibility of local authorities.
              Hmm, it's a grey area - NHS look after 'medical care' whilst council look after 'social care' but they both argue what constitutes 'medical' vs 'social'.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

People should have means to start a family and give good upbringing to their children so when they get old, their children will have enough money to rent a carer or provide care in different ways.
                This extra tax will make people poorer and add more hardship, some may even decide to not start family or when they do they will not have time for children as they will have to work extra hours to make ends meet.
                If you ask question who profits from this, then there is your answer who might be lobbying for that.
                I don't think government wants to help. It is just an opportunity to make extra money.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  They do indeed look at all assets over £22k, including your home (unless you joint own with a husband/wife).

So, if you've never saved and had a low paying job and hence paid little tax over the years you have full support. If you have saved for your future and paid high rate tax for decades but become ill through no fault of your own then you get nothing. Hardly seems equitable, and is hardly conducive to encouraging people to save for a rainy day.
                  Its never been clearer that keeping savings in ways that can be linked to you, is incredibly stupid. Whether it be gold, crypto or even cash somewhere, these are the ways to make sure the system does not take as much as it can from you, while giving you nothing when its your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Hmm, it's a grey area - NHS look after 'medical care' whilst council look after 'social care' but they both argue what constitutes 'medical' vs 'social'.
                    It's not good to separate them I agree. Ireland (RoI and NI) include social care within their health services. Not that these structural differences eliminate all problems.

Comment

It's not good to separate them I agree. Ireland (RoI and NI) include social care within their health services. Not that these structural differences eliminate all problems.
                      Revealed: NHS could take over social care, swelling budget to GBP150bn | NHS | The Guardian

Neat new way to create new taxes without breaking manifesto lies

Comment

Working...
                      X