• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social care tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social care tax

“ The system that officials are considering is a modified version of how Japan and Germany fund social care. Both are widely admired for having created a sustainable way of financing social care to deal with the rising needs an ageing population brings.

In Japan everyone starts contributing once they reach 40. In Germany everyone pays something towards that cost from the time they start working, and pensioners contribute too. Currently 1.5% of every person’s salary, and a further 1.5% from employers or pension funds, are ringfenced to pay for care in later life.”

Over-40s in UK to pay more tax under plans to fix social care crisis | Society | The Guardian

FFS - what employers got to do with it?

Employer NICs, “auto enrolment” (extra pension tax) and now social care tax - just another tax on employment

Tory incompetence is already dealing with the aging population.

Comment

Tories would have let virus go wild if it as not for pensioners mostly voting for Tories.

Comment

"Japan and Germany fund social care. Both are widely admired for having created a sustainable way of financing social care to deal with the rising needs an ageing population brings"
        Japanese economy has been completely fooked by not having a sustainable population. The Asian crash of the late 90s was down to the Japanese workforce retiring.

It's fooking mental how economically literate these people are.

Comment

I can get on board with that if it means I’m paying a bit more tax to fund care in my own home so I am not forced to sell it to pay for residential care.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
            I can get on board with that if it means I’m paying a bit more tax to fund care in my own home so I am not forced to sell it to pay for residential care.
            Old socks just get chucked in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
              Not just old age care, but care for anyone who needs it e.g. disabled too. Care is expensive, and even if the person needs 24/7 help there is very little available. Councils and social services don't want to know, and the NHS just say it's not their responsibility.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I would not have an issue with inheritance tax if I knew the 'next generation' was the progeny of my parent's generation.

Seeing as you can rock up at Dover with a prayer mat these days and get 'in' i'm making sure my money stays in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Not just old age care, but care for anyone who needs it e.g. disabled too. Care is expensive, and even if the person needs 24/7 help there is very little available. Councils and social services don't want to know, and the NHS just say it's not their responsibility.
                  Generally the NHS is right here. Social care is the responsibility of local authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Generally the NHS is right here. Social care is the responsibility of local authorities.
                    Don't they take all your assets (and recent disposals) in exchange for this local authority "care"?

One would have thought NICs would take care of care, nevermind all that income tax, inheritance tax, stamp duty etc

Comment

Working...
                    X