• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract or Perm...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract or Perm...

Just finished a contract on Friday that lasted 4.5 years with various extensions but putting in the hours.
    Probably not taken enough breaks during this time and with coronavirus on top, I woke up this
    morning feeling like I should be doing something but for once in a long time - I don't have to actually
    do anything! However, the question is, I've been offered a perm role and a contract role. I like them both equally
    but I'm inclined to accept the perm role as there is going to be a bloodbath from now until April 5th.
    I've seen a couple of people on this forum do exactly this - so how has it been? Have you adjusted to empire building,
    politics, pointless meetings etc, or has it been fairly painless?

Noooooooooooooooo

Comment

Watch this film and then ask yourself again.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarledcontractor View Post
        Just finished a contract on Friday that lasted 4.5 years with various extensions but putting in the hours.
        Probably not taken enough breaks during this time and with coronavirus on top, I woke up this
        morning feeling like I should be doing something but for once in a long time - I don't have to actually
        do anything! However, the question is, I've been offered a perm role and a contract role. I like them both equally
        but I'm inclined to accept the perm role as there is going to be a bloodbath from now until April 5th.
        I've seen a couple of people on this forum do exactly this - so how has it been? Have you adjusted to empire building,
        politics, pointless meetings etc, or has it been fairly painless?
        Forget about contracting and get your hair permed.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Dane Cook is the absolute worst.

Comment

You should do some self exploration until you figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

There are some places that are ok, some that aren't. Some could offer a decent experience in a team where you could grow and make a success of it. Other places could feel like a prison and you'd contemplate blowing your brains out every single day.

Focus on the things that truly matter for you and where you see yourself next... whether is in the management seat, mastering being the perfect corporate stooge or on top of Jessica Simpson.
            It's only you that knows the answer.

Comment

Plan C is looming large, let's leave it at that.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't know if perm is anymore secure than contracts are right now. The businesses this hasn't hit hard yet will be hit hard in next 6-18 months, the cuts are starting.
                Not sure what you do but if it's anything in IT it's always one of the first areas to get cut and of course new hires are the first to go. Sure contractors will get the boot but so will tons of permie staff.
                My wife's work just cut more than half (40+) of their IT department.

Comment

Pffffft.

I'm turning down permie and contract work daily. You need the skillz.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Plan C is looming large, let's leave it at that.
                    Right... You were one of the contributors I was alluding to before - and the one I was hoping would respond.
                    I think you moved to perm - and IIRC that it was a good decision. Is that still the case?

Comment

Working...
                    X