• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

? Finally a viable proposal to stop lorries from overtaking each other

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Please provide evidence that "most lorry companies fiddle their tachos"

As for how you bill people, it's quite simple, there are a few options:
    1. Fixed fee (daily/monthly/annually)
    2. Pay per km.
    3. Pay per hour.

Then, if only the vehicles were fitted with something like a unique identifier, maybe some kind of, I don't know, number plate. And then if only there was something that would be an Automatic Number Plate Recognition system.
    And that's without going to GPS/SIM or other device that could be built in to the pantograph.

Mainly anecdotal, my two lorry driving friends have admitted to being forced to cheat their tachos at multiple employers and clients. However it does seem to be fairly common.

Drivers’ Hours and Tachograph Prosecutions - Keep Me On The Road

Fined for tacho fiddling by ‘imaginary’ friend | Commercial Motor

Management control to blame for tacho fiddling | Commercial Motor

Calls for tougher deterrents for magnet tacho cheats | Commercial Motor

Part Brummie & proud, not a lorry driver so I can't help you with your kinky dreams but many lorry drivers were based in Brum in my experience, ask NLyUK.
    I don't really like Yorkies, ok with meat pies.

ANPR - So if I drive in the lane (as I am legally required to) but I don't take electricity for some reason I still get charged? Maybe my batteries are full and I forget to switch to overhead power, my pantograph is broken, my electric motor faulty etc. ?

It needs a handshake with the pantograph/overhead. Stay away from creating solutions.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      So if I drive in the lane (as I am legally required to) but I don't take electricity for some reason I still get charged?
      No. In either sense.

But thank you for exemplifying the British approach to new suggestions. Ignore the fact that somehow it works in a foreign country, so perhaps they've figured these things out?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

ANPR - So if I drive in the lane (as I am legally required to) but I don't take electricity for some reason I still get charged? Maybe my batteries are full and I forget to switch to overhead power, my pantograph is broken, my electric motor faulty etc. ?

It needs a handshake with the pantograph/overhead.
        What if what if what if ... It's a slippery slope. Probably none of them have MOTs, tax or insurance, according to the Wail...

Stay away from creating solutions.
        You said it couldn't be done, I came up with options in a matter of seconds. Someone has to come up with solutions, or you end up in a mess where you believe everything the Torygraph/Mail write.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          No. In either sense.

But thank you for exemplifying the British approach to new suggestions. Ignore the fact that somehow it works in a foreign country, so perhaps they've figured things out?

How? Which was my question and the one I subsequently found was asked in the article.

I am sure there is a solution but ANPR alone is not it.

Comment

You might have also read that these are only test beds for this system and that billing is just part of it. There are various models being worked on, you can search for them but here is just a couple of examples:

Zwei Möglichkeiten der Abrechnung seien naheliegend, sagt der Projektleiter. Die eine sei eine Bezahlung für die genutzte Strommenge, die andere eine Flatrate: Der Spediteur zahle einen Jahresbeitrag für jeden seiner Lkw, der die elektrifizierte Strecke nutzt.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Considering our rail services come to a grinding halt when a few leaves or a bit of snow lands on the overhead cables, just how reliable will this be?
              Or a small gust of wind brings the whole lot down. (Hello Thameslink...s)
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

What if what if what if ... It's a slippery slope. Probably none of them have MOTs, tax or insurance, according to the Wail...

You said it couldn't be done, I came up with options in a matter of seconds. Someone has to come up with solutions, or you end up in a mess where you believe everything the Torygraph/Mail write.
                I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said they hadn't addressed it yet as did the original article, you had a go and I explained why your solutions obviously wouldn't work.

Comment

Well actually HGVs have a 3 month MOT exemption currently so probably a quarter have a lapsed MOT. However HGVs should also have a series of checks both by the driver and an approved mechnic.

The driver should do a walk round check every day he drives a vehicle. Just as in theory you should on your car but the police are fa more likely to prosecute an HGV driver if they didn't.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-legal-HGV.pdf

Safety inspections normally every 6 weeks by a mechanic.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...g-vehicles.pdf

Are you sure that every company does them properly? The DVSA isn't they have prosecuted plenty of operators.

Are you sure foreign lorries observe them? Lets get this straight I'm all in favour of British lorries having enhancements so they are safe abroad.

Obviously the wail is lying about EU lorries killing more cyclists.

Do EU rules prevent safer lorries? - Full Fact

In 2014, the European Parliament voted to support an amendment to the directive, which allows lorries to exceed the legal dimensions if it makes them greener and safer. This change was first proposed in April 2013, the same year that Mr Johnson says he first wanted a change of law.These rules became a new law, or “directive” in 2015. The new rules allow manufacturers to produce lorry cabs that have a more rounded shape, which improves visibility for the driver and reduces the risk of serious injury in the event of a low-speed collision. The directive also aims to improve the environmental performance of lorries. These rules are not mandatory—older lorry designs will still be allowed on the road.
                  The European Commission told us that the new-design trucks will appear on European roads as of 2020, and that the Commission has proposed to bring that date forward to 2019.

These figures are obviously made up.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...commission-spt

And although the UK was deemed to have the lowest death rate per million of any nation inside the EU two years ago, the terrifying data reveals where in the bloc the most hazardous roads are.

In the UK across 2018, 1,839 deaths occurred from road traffic accidents, which equates to around 28 deaths per million people.

Yet, when other nations' deaths per million people were analysed the statistics made grim reading.

The worst death rate was seen in Romania, which was three times as high as the UK, with 96 people dying per million people.

Bulgaria (87) was the second worst country, followed by Latvia and Croatia, which both had rates of 77 dying from road traffic accidents per million people.

Mr Bridgen, who himself worked as a qualified transport manager, said of the figures: "Every death is a tragedy and avoidable deaths in road accidents we take very seriously in the UK.

"It is clear that the EU have never brought their safety standards up to those of the UK despite it being, supposedly, a level playing field."

He added: "The fact is that the major contributing factor to road accidents in the UK, is foreign lorries.

"What we need to do is one of the major risks on UK roads is European lorries with steering wheels on the wrong side because they have different blind spots because drivers can't see.

"They are seven times more likely to be involved in an accident in the UK than a UK registered lorry."

Asking a relevant question about the economics of it is not saying it can't be done.

Me questioning if it being a road not rail affects the solution seems sensible at least to me.

You making suggestions that fall apart at first look is not providing an option or a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    How about we just go back to rail freight?
                    Must be a very good reason big money why it has not happened

Comment

Diesel Dong: a stiffy like an iron bar.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X