• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PMP certification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Ohh in 20 years in project management I’ve never heard

Let’s get the PM with PMP or Prince they will be better

Like an MBA or PHD in contracting - useless

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Its nice to see someone who understands the basics. In my experience the amount of PMs who coast until the last minute then start shouting and blaming the others greatly outnumbers the ones who create a plan, properly estimate it and then try to keep everyone on track while minimising surprises.

Did Prince2 years ago and I use its teachings regularly. I am not a PM (been there hated that).
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Unfortunately I have seen exactly those requirements made by central government.

The MBA was worse than useless.
      The PHD could no solve simple issues.
      All PMs had to have P2, which is OK. However, having P2 or PMP does not make a good PM.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We're not advocating here whether the OP should or shouldn't get PMP or P2 for that matter for the needs of a role, but whether he/she can put the costs through the LTD. It's up to him/her to decide if the qualification is right for them and the type of clients they work for.

As for me, been in PM roles for close on 20 years like you and whilst we know that these quals don't necessarily make you a better PM, they are valued by clients and having them if only to get the foot in the door of the interview is worth it.

I've never had a client say they want a PM without P2, but many who said they want a PM with P2.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I would disagree with you because a significant number of non contracts require PM certification because they require the candidate to have an understanding of procedures. I have worked in corporates where they even require help desk staff to take PM qualls.
          PMP is a professional designation not just a cert like Prince2. They aren't equivalent.

PMP has an experience component Prince2 does not. A technical resource should not be able to qualify for PMP unless they lie when submitting their experience.

I think CAPM is the no experience cert from PMI.

I do know some help desk staff who have taken Prince2 through their work as well but they didn't need it to get the job and they were permies so their employer paid for their course and exam.

Comment

Working...
          X