• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PMP certification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMP certification

Has anyone done a PMP certification through their own ltd.company? Is it possible to do?

Originally posted by CroydonContractor View Post
    Has anyone done a PMP certification through their own ltd.company? Is it possible to do?
    Do you mean, has someone done PMP and put the cost of the training through the company? There are certain rules around training costs and what you can charge back to your ltd so you might want to have a chat with your accountant. I think so long as the PMP is related to the service you currently offer, and are to enhance skills you will sell to your clients, then I would expect your accountant to be fine with it.

I put my Prince2 re-cert through my limited. I did look at PMP/PMI but none of the roles I was looking at required this on top of Prince2 (I have MSP already).

If your question is something else ... can you elaborate?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Are you referring to expensing the cost of the certificate? Some prep course? Or something else?

Or are you referring to putting down your Ltd as your experience? You just list the projects you managed and put down the client as the contact. It's unlikely it'll get audited and they'll be contacted but still be as honest as you can when filling it out.

Comment

Do you mean expense it through your Ltd Co?

Is training an allowable expense through my limited company

Comment

If its a new skill then no you can't.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If its a new skill then no you can't.
            It's quite grey at times what 'new' is ..... if he/she is selling themselves as a PM then claiming the PMP would be fine, but if they're a developer wanting to move into PM work then it wouldn't (although I know people who have). HMRC are very unlikely to look that closely but (as you normally say) best they check with their accountant

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              It's quite grey at times what 'new' is ..... if he/she is selling themselves as a PM then claiming the PMP would be fine, but if they're a developer wanting to move into PM work then it wouldn't (although I know people who have). HMRC are very unlikely to look that closely but (as you normally say) best they check with their accountant
              I would disagree with you because a significant number of non contracts require PM certification because they require the candidate to have an understanding of procedures. I have worked in corporates where they even require help desk staff to take PM qualls.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I would disagree with you because a significant number of non contracts require PM certification because they require the candidate to have an understanding of procedures. I have worked in corporates where they even require help desk staff to take PM qualls.
                I'd agree but you don't need full PMP for that.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Like I say, and NLUK too, it can be a grey area. It really does depend what you sell yourself as and whether you're getting new skills or enhancing existing skills/offering to client.

If you're a developer who leads teams and hence 'PM's' their area then it's OK. If however you're on a help desk but want to train to be a PM and sell those skills in the future then HMRC would argue this is a new skill.

To be honest though, HMRC are very unlikely to check up and so long as the costs are low compared to revenue and your accountant is happy then no one is really going to know.

Comment

Ohh in 20 years in project management I’ve never heard

Let’s get the PM with PMP or Prince they will be better

Like an MBA or PHD in contracting - useless

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X