• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waiving the need for SC clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiving the need for SC clearance

I'm currently working on a sensitive government project for a consultancy for which I had to have SC clearance in order to access various systems to do any work. The deadline for the project is about 3 months away so they've decided to do the usual, throw more bodies at it because of course that makes everything get done faster. However the strangest part of all this is that suddenly the client has waved the need for SC clearance as the additional staff are from said consultancy's office abroad. Anyone else experienced anything happen like this on a project? Or am I turning into PC?
    In Scooter we trust

Isn’t admitting to having SC is a disqualifying event?

Comment

Something similar(ish) this year. Public sector project in discovery was deemed to require us all to have SC clearance according the security group. Happy days and we started the process gathering who needs it. Sadly the programme didn't want to pay for it so after much discussion the need was sidestepped. Yah boo sucks. They did a detailed analysis and changed the way the data was accessed, reported and stored so it isn't as accessible which satisfied security and the requirement was removed for all but for a small number of people (perms) who were already working on the data and mostly already had it.

It's not beyond the relams of possibility that many projects don't need everyone to have it and changes to process and access can remove the need once the situation is analysed. It's caused more work and cost than it would have saved getting it in the long run but that's public sector for you.

It's possible that the bodies thrown at it don't individually need SC to still be secure so they've reduced the requirement. I'll be willing to bet they aren't just throwing it out the door and not getting it where it's really required. Public sector aren't normally that flexible and have the clout to make that call. There will have been a lot of negotiating with security groups in the background I expect. Public sector do some daft stuff but by passing security isn't normally one of them.

EDIT : PS are normally very touchy about data going out of the country as well so if it's acceptable for offshore bods to do the work I'd imagine the SC isn't as essential as you'd think.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        I'm currently working on a sensitive government project for a consultancy for which I had to have SC clearance in order to access various systems to do any work. The deadline for the project is about 3 months away so they've decided to do the usual, throw more bodies at it because of course that makes everything get done faster. However the strangest part of all this is that suddenly the client has waved the need for SC clearance as the additional staff are from said consultancy's office abroad. Anyone else experienced anything happen like this on a project? Or am I turning into PC?
        Yes, I had this some years ago. Client panicked and thought that taking on extras would speed things up, they dropped the
        SC requirement and had an idiot from Lebanon who was clueless and just sat around all day, an alcoholic Brit who turned up in the afternoons, a number Australians with dubious pasts. They made no difference whatsoever to the time scale of the project.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Yes, I had this some years ago. Client panicked and thought that taking on extras would speed things up, they dropped the
          SC requirement and had an idiot from Lebanon who was clueless and just sat around all day, an alcoholic Brit who turned up in the afternoons, a number Australians with dubious pasts. They made no difference whatsoever to the time scale of the project.
          Maybe the problem was you.

Just saying.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

about 7-8 years ago I did a gig that required SC. I didn't have it at the time but they were happy to start me on BC/BPSS whilst SC goes through. A few weeks in, they reviewed the requirement (read costs) and decided that because I wasn't going to be touching any of the data that requires it, just writing documents, proposals, etc, then I wouldn't need it.

Was a bit annoying for me because I would have bagged SC again.

I just wish those recruiting in the public sector did a bit of simple homework before slapping 'active SC/DV required' on the job ad.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Maybe the problem was you.

Just saying.
              The project finished on time as always. Now F* off.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Back in 1999, I waited 3 months for my SC to come through. When I finally started the contract, discovered there was an Irish PwC consultant on the project who hadn't even applied.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Back in 1999, When dinosaurs roamed the earth, and my Sony Walkman was pulling birds into my ford Capri .
                  Fixed that for you

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Back in 1999, I waited 3 months for my SC to come through. When I finally started the contract, discovered there was an Irish PwC consultant on the project who hadn't even applied.
                    Dats racist.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X