• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re-imposition of lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    It's serious for some people. For others it's a minor inconvenience.
    Serious as in death, that kind of serious - can’t really be more serious than that: 1% of infected easily (on average).

Then there is a bigger group who will have to live with serious health issues for a long time, possible forever or until they catch Covid-22, which would put them in the first group since they’ll have “pre-conditions”: 2-3%, possibly 5%.

Then there are the rest who might be ok, but who can be 100% sure this virus actually 100% disappears and won’t re-activate at some point?

The economy is fooked only because those in charge are fooking incompetent muppets - not all countries mind you: South Korea did excellent job, Germany did very well too and China probably did the best - they got hit first, zero warning yet succeeded in dealing with this plague.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      My 86 year old neighbour with chronic COPD has been toddling down to the crowded market in our nearest town at every opportunity, and eating in packed cafes.

As a rule I don't like offering unsolicited advice to adults, or receiving it, as it is patronising even if well intended. But whenever the opportunity arises I've assured him I won't be going out like that and emphatically explained why.

Also, he watches the news and reads newspapers avidly, so he can't be unaware of the likely result of him of catching the lurgie. So I can only assume he isn't that bothered if he catches it and pops off.
      Which he likely isn't. Old people are a different problem. My parents are both in their late 80's, both their parents suffered badly from alzheimers and spent nearly a decade living with them not knowing who their own children were. My parents do not want to go that way and joke about covid being an easy out to avoid what is likely coming their way in the next decade or two. Although they are my parents I was old enought to see the state of my grandparents and I have to agree with them.

The problem is them infecting others while they get there chance to pop off.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Before C19 hit the UK we had a lot of the information about who would become ill, who was most at risk and how it spread. We've confirmed this for ourselves in the UK but I don't think we have that much more information now than we had back in Feb.

We know that about 80% of infected have little to no symptoms.
        We know the young and healthy may not even be aware that they have the virus
        We know the old and those with pre-existing condition are at greater risk
        We know social distancing and general common sense and good hygiene are good defense mechnisms to the spread of the virus

6 months on and the 80% are bored with the lockdown, Experience has shown them that they are low risk, yet they are expected to suffer too via job loss, no holidays, nothing for kids to do, no social life.

The 80% want their life back.

We still don't seem to have a strategy for protecting the <20% if the 80% decide to ignore all advice. Initially the government seemed to think protecting the NHS by sending the old back into care homes was a good idea! They clearly didn't think protecting the 20% was that important either.

We still don't seem, after all this time, to be able to test and trace infected people to have focused lockdowns (instead we hit whole cities with a sledgehammer)

No idea what the answer is, and clearly not an issue for just the UK, but unless we sort this out then the 80% who feel they are safe will just do what they feel because, at the end of the day, they can't all be locked up if they follow civil disobedience.

It's an interesting one. As individuals we should be taking responsibility for our own actions and yet very few people are (look at the news stories again today of the masses hitting the beaches in Kent and Dorset).
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Nobody knows what long terms risks are of this virus: it's too new.

Those who are "bored" should get a job in a local hospital caring for Covid patients.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Nobody knows what long terms risks are of this virus: it's too new.

Those who are "bored" should get a job in a local hospital caring for Covid patients.
            They won't be able to just rock up at a hospital to cure their boredom. And, a lot of them have jobs already, or are on 80% salary but furloughed so they aren't allowed to work. Doesn't mean they're not bored though.

As for long term risks ... not many people look further than the next night out down the pub, or the next holiday. You're asking them to act in a certain way now because they 'might' be ill in the long term ... maybe .... not gonna happen my friend. If the human mind worked that way then no one would smoke, drink or eat trash food.

I'm not saying the 80% are right, I'm not saying I agree with them, but it's what I see with their actions.

Comment

Well they’d better get ready to be bored even more once furlough ends in a few months - a lot of their jobs simply won’t exist if virus is not dealt with, most companies they work for won’t be viable with even 20% drop in demand.

This country had golden opportunity to do harsh lockdown from march and strict testing+quarantine for any new arrivals, if that was done at least UK tourism would work, right now we are going to enter grim winter in bad shape.

And yes - big problem that will still remain is short termism - lack of preparation is why we in deep tulip now

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Spot on there Zigenare, I truly believe the tulip will hit the fan come October when the furlough scheme is wound down. Somehow the younger sister-in-law is on full pay from the company where she works even though I explained to the mother-in-law over the phone that they're obviously doing something fraudulent as she should not be getting more than 80%.
                As the other two have pointed out it is not fraudulent. Companies can choose to make up those on furloughs salaries up to 100%.

The risk of being on furlough us that long term there is no job for you regardless of whether your employer makes it up to 100%.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Somehow the younger sister-in-law is on full pay from the company where she works even though I explained to the mother-in-law over the phone that they're obviously doing something fraudulent as she should not be getting more than 80%.
                  How is it fraudulent for a company to top it up, which wasn't required but certainly hoped for?
                  Last edited by AtW; 31 July 2020, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Well they’d better get ready to be bored even more once furlough ends in a few months - a lot of their jobs simply won’t exist if virus is not dealt with, most companies they work for won’t be viable with even 20% drop in demand.

This country had golden opportunity to do harsh lockdown from march and strict testing+quarantine for any new arrivals, if that was done at least UK tourism would work, right now we are going to enter grim winter in bad shape.

And yes - big problem that will still remain is short termism - lack of preparation is why we in deep tulip now
                    Don't know about other countries but Brits seem to struggle to look past the near term and we are it appears quite self centred - surely the 2016 vote showed that. We struggle to see the big picture and many are only concerned for themselves or their immediate family.

Reading our village's local facebook page there is certainly a growing body of people who are not with the program when it comes to face masks, social distancing or further lockdowns. Mostly the young, but enough others to show me the direction that the populace is moving.

It's every man and woman for themselves people, get those guns cocked and pull up the drawbridges. It's going to be a bumpy ride

Comment

Lock & load, man, lock & load.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X